Author Topic: Patience and it will happen  (Read 2188 times)

Offline Amerflyer48

• Custom Call Maker
Patience and it will happen
« on: August 22, 2009, 12:00:10 AM »
back in 1990 I was in Kittery Maine and bought 2 Single Action Revolvers..Made in Western Germany in 1966

the old timer behind the counter told me that ammo  was non-existent hence the $125.00 price tags  since I was 20 and couldn't afford the Colts or Rugers next to them.. I went for it after consulting a book for dimensions.. yep a .30-30 would do with some work..

and now I have finally started making ammo for my

Herters 401 Magnums..

Bought the book the same day I bought the guns...

Basically a .41 Rem Mag after you do some file work it arrived on the shooting scene about 3 years before remington..... and I am sure the old timer would approve.. maybe next project will be some new grips,..old sixguns shouldn't be wrapped in plastic

John

And Yes I wish I had a Herters Catalog.. they had some great stories in them... George Herter was , I imagine like the guy in Seinfeld that Elaine worked for,.. Someone here has to remember those catalogs  :bigup:

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Calls by Braz
Re: Patience and it will happen
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 01:21:48 AM »
Wow, you got a couple of real beauties there. I'm seriously envious.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Amerflyer48

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 10:12:35 PM »
If you can get over the big front sight they actually handle pretty well,... not an old Colt but close enough for some serious sixgunning fun

I am looking forward to making grips for them,.. I have some red oak I am willing to sacrifice to the effort  actually an old bed slat so no great loss if I  :censored: :censored: it up

then again,.. I bet a Colt grip frame would fit... nahhhh  wood is cheaper  :rofl:

wood with plenty of extra to goof a few times.............check   :bigup:

Dremel tool, sanding drums and a small plane/other hand tools ........check   :bigup:

pictures of what the finished set should look like.........check   :bigup:

if I fail miserably :
     Wondering how many lanyards I would have to trade for grips  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

John

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 10:21:18 PM »
Heck if you fail the first time, you'll know why and know how to do it right the second time. Go for it. After you get the wood ones perfected, you get some elk antler and make some really nice ones!
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Amerflyer48

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 10:50:36 PM »
it will be a long term project but I will take pics...
Brownells had grip screw estucheons last I checked..

Elk Antler,... Hmmmm

this could get out of control....  LOL