Author Topic: Buffer/Sander mandrel  (Read 6084 times)

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
Buffer/Sander mandrel
« on: January 23, 2008, 03:18:46 PM »
Here is my latest toy for the callmakers.  I have already worked on the copyright and I am working on getting the patent done on this little jewel, I will never make a million, but I know that it is worth copying.  This one is really for the predator callmaker that wants a better way to sand and buff the inside of the exhaust bell of the call.

These are the pieces and parts that make it work, from left to right.  2" square cloth for the 3/4" buffer, a piece of 1"x1.5" sandpaper cut into a Maltese Cross shape, 1/2" 6-32 machine screw and washers, aluminum mandrel threaded for the 6-32 screws, 1"x1" gun cleaning patch with a hole in the middle for the machine screw.

This is the 2" cloth, again gun cleaning patches I would rather buy them than cut my own, on the mandrel and mounted in a collet chuck.  It can also be used in a Jacobs chuck but you need a arbor with a draw bar on it, or a hand drill or the drill press.

Here I am buffing the inside of a call body.  You need to find a paste wax that you like, that is your job, I have went through a few, and I am still looking and buying some more.  All of the paste waxes that contain carnauba wax contain mineral spirits for a thinner and smell.  The smell does go away in a few hours.  You rub paste wax on the inside and let it dry and then buff it.  The cloth is larger than the bore and gives the inside a real good buffing action.

This is the sander version, you can use the same mandrel for this as the buffing.  You will  need to cut 1"x1.5" pieces of emory cloth, I prefer Klingspor sanding rolls.  Cut this piece into the shape of a Maltese Cross and punch a hole in the middle for the machine screw.  You will need to make these up for all of the grits that you want to use.  I mark each mandrel with a piece of tape with lines designating what grit it is.  Again if you are only using one mandrel for all grits you will need to come up with a method to keep them in order.

This is the sander in operation, it takes a little practice or you can dig grooves inside of the bore.  Do not let the sander run in one spot keep it moving.  I start with 220 grit and progress up through 600 grit.

More uses for the buffer and sander, this is useful for you fans of acrylic, it simplifies the sanding and buffing of the bore of the call.  You can use finer sandpaper, the paper kind, all the way up to what ever grit you want to go.  With the paper you just have to slow it down and take your time or it will shred the paper.  For the ones that use Micro Mesh, you can use that also.  There is a learning curve to using this, but I think it is a short one.  For the mechanically inclined it will be real short, for those that are a little challenged in the mechanic's department you can still use it.  Just practice a little on scraps not that expensive wood.

Organizing the system.  If you only have one mandrel, and that is all you need, the extras will be just luxuries.  You will need some system to keep everything organized.  First get a box of 1/2" long 6-32 screws and a box of washers for the the screws, you will lose them.  Not if you lose them you will lose them.  Then find one of small parts cabinets that have drawers, Harbor Freight has them. These cabinets are the ones that have about 20 drawers that are around a foot square.  As you do the following sort them and LABEL the drawers.  Buy a pack of 1" and 2" square cleaning patches or take them out of you gun cleaning supplies, punch a small hole in them for the machine screw..  Sanding, cut 2 of each grit in the Maltese Cross shape.  I use 2 pieces of emory cloth on 3/4" and 1 piece on 5/8" bores.  That is my preference, some of will use more.  Use the drawers to keep grits separate, too keep the extra screws, washers etc..  Punching the hole, a little secret get a cheap leather punch, again Harbor Freight has a cheap rotary or Tandy leather.   Copyright 2007

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: Buffer/Sander mandrel
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 04:08:58 PM »
I bought some of these from Marvin and they really work. Thumbs up on this one Marvin.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline rwehuntn

• New Forum Member
Re: Buffer/Sander mandrel
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 10:20:52 PM »
What a great concept Marvin, I hope all goes well with the patent etc.

rwehuntn