Author Topic: Step drilling goose barrels!  (Read 12717 times)

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Step drilling goose barrels!
« on: August 12, 2009, 01:05:42 AM »
 :helpsmilie: !!!!!!  HERE WE GO!  I'm ready to spend some money on this project!  I LOVE the sound of my goose calls!  I got an idea from one of the local goose call makers around here and CCO a couple years ago about step drilling my barrels to get a better sound, rather than shortening my barrel for less volume inside of it.

Well, here's the problem!  I can't seem to be consistent AT ALL with drilling the steps (7/8 to 3/4 to 5/8).  I can't keep the hole going STRAIGHT down.  I'm getting like 1 out of every 3 to turn out decent, and I can't say I'm 100 percent happy with any of them.  This is wasting a LOT of wood.

So, what do I need?  I know something has been posted here that MAY work from the past.  It was something like a pilot that went over your bit?  Something like that?  I'm going to look for the old thread on this here in a second.

Having a sturdy drill press and leaving things sit to change bits isn't going to work.  I don't have long enough bits, or a long enough press throw for something like that. 

I've also got an idea in my mind to just have a custom bit made?!  But who would make it for me?!  No one around here.

Again......  :surrender:   :helpsmilie:  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've GOT to do something about this.  I ruined 3 blanks today......well, they drilled wrong, and they were ruined for good when I chucked them across the shop.   :surrender:

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: Step drilling goose barrels!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 01:09:53 AM »
I didn't find that old thread unfortunately.  I think it was either Braz or Heirloom that had the link to the tools last time.  I really think a custom step drill would make this EASY though.

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 01:16:27 AM »
Well it sure wasn't me. I don't know anything about step drilling. However, a quick google search came up with just what you are looking for.

http://www.wolftooltech.com/Three_Step_Carbide_Drill_Quote_Request_Form.pdf
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 01:23:14 AM »
I'm there on that right now Braz.  Was just getting ready to post it.  I wonder who in the world I should talk to about what I want for angles on the cut?!  Number of flutes and helix angle also both have me  :huh:

I guess I'm going to have to see about getting ahold of them!  Bet its not cheap!  Just depends on what heart burn is worth to me though!

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 01:29:55 AM »
HAHAHA!  Seeing that its going to cost me about $50 to have it resharpened once I get it, I'm guessing this isn't going to fall in to my 'worth the heartbearn' cost.  I'm still going to check though, unless someone has a cheaper idea that I can't seem to find.

Well, now I've looked further, and I'm going to continue to check in to this.  I see they'll make about anything you could want.......   :pot:   :gunsmilie:  They even have regular carbide drill bits with a place for coolant insertion (can you say dymondwood drilling?!)

Parker
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 01:34:27 AM by Parker »

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 01:35:04 AM »
Before you spend any money, take a sheet of paper and draw up the insides of the barrels.  Show drill sizes and lengths, the outside lengths and any tenons etc, then shoot a photo of it and send it to my email address.  What I am looking for is a blueprint of what you want.  I have an idea, yeah one of those crazy ideas that may or may not work.  I have some free time tomorrow between lunch and when my wife comes home, I have date with a gunsmith when she comes home.  

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 01:42:16 AM »
Here's another......HSS rather than carbide.......  http://www.cctools.biz/step_drill_bits.asp

I hope someone has some answer for a 'guide' that I can put over a bit so I don't have to go this route.   :whistling:   :up1:

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 01:44:20 AM »
Before you spend any money, take a sheet of paper and draw up the insides of the barrels.  Show drill sizes and lengths, the outside lengths and any tenons etc, then shoot a photo of it and send it to my email address.  What I am looking for is a blueprint of what you want.  I have an idea, yeah one of those crazy ideas that may or may not work.  I have some free time tomorrow between lunch and when my wife comes home, I have date with a gunsmith when she comes home.  

Marvin

:bigup:  Okay Marvin.  I will just go to bed now then, and get up and draw this thing out in the morning.

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 01:54:58 AM »
Waiting on it.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 03:20:42 AM »
 :up1:  "You've got mail" Marvin! 

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline Wes

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 08:25:40 AM »
If you go to Mcmaster-carr or Enco they have pilot point drill bits that will do what you want a lot cheaper than having a custom one made (unless Marvin comes up with something good) . All you need is a 5/8 pilot 3/4 cutter and a 3/4 pilot 7/8 cutter and you will be able to drill perfect holes every time.
Wes
There is a fine line between hobby  and mental illness .

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 08:51:28 AM »

Wes,

Do you have to use a lathe for those pilot cutters, or can you use them on a drill press?

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 10:07:36 AM »
Parker,
I usually do my boring on the lathe. I use drill stopps and all that good stuff to get the stepps like your talking about. The lathe is alot more 'steady" or repeatrable when doing holes like your taling. I KNOW Mr. Marvin has an idea that will work. Is it possible to take a large step drill and shape it with a hand grinder to what you want? Maybe chuck it up in the lathe and turn it slowly as you grind it to the shape and size you wish? I watching to see what you guys come up with.
I use a step drill to start out hte exhaust for my goose calls. Then shape it from there. Well, you know what it ends up as. But it sure would be nice to get that profile in a single step.
Just BRAINSTORMIN.
Hey, what about a chisel that cuts on the side in the shape you want?
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008
heirloomgamecalls@yahoo.com

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 10:39:27 AM »
Here Bud, this should get you where you want to go.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRAR?PMSECT=539

They are called interchangeable pilot counterbores. Drill the whole thing 5/8, counterbore to 3/4, then counterbore to 7/8 or whatever you are using.

They work well, should get ya out of the woods.

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 11:52:55 AM »
Wes and Bob,

Ugh......that list is blowing me away.  I can't figure out what cutter diameter, shank diameter, and pilot shank diameter mean.  No matter how I change things around, it doesn't seem like there is a 7/8" that will work.   :surrender:  

I understand I'm wanting a drill bit that is 5/8" and then I have these drop down inside that 5/8" hole to center the piece.  Would both of these be 5/8" to drop in the hole then, or would the 7/8" cut work off of the 3/4" hole?

With what they have available here, am I restricting my use of them by having my drill press be a 5/8" max shank press?

Parker
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 11:56:21 AM by Parker »

VECtor Custom Calls