Author Topic: The Braz Mandrel  (Read 6412 times)

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
The Braz Mandrel
« on: January 23, 2008, 03:00:19 PM »
Here is the mandrel that I made for Braz, he came up with a different method for centering the holes.  This is Braz's custom designed mandrel, now when someone sees it and decides they have to have one they call it the Braz Mandrel.  A very good idea and has a great name.

Marvin

I wanted to make a test run 1st I drilled the blank drilled part way for 5/8" exhaust bore

Drilling the 9/32" hole for the reed sleeve and reed.

Drilling the 3/8" by 3/8" hole so the sleeve and reed will go in easier, and leave an air chamber before the reed.

Test call turned and sanded.

Test call is dyed and ready for first coat of finish.

On an ediit, as Braz stated the end of this mandrel is drilled out with a 3/8" bit to keep from wearing out your drill bit when you drill the 9/32" hole.  A little ingenuity by Braz makes life just a little bit easier.
Marvin
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 04:30:36 PM by dogcatcher »
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: The Braz Mandrel
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 04:17:18 PM »
Marvin, you forgot to mention the difference between your stubby mandrel and the one you made for me. I had Marvin drill out the end of the mandrel a bit. That way, when I drill the 9/32" hole, or 1/4" or 7mm, whatever, the drill bit goes all the way through the wood, but you can stop before hitting the end of the mandrel and possibly damaging your drill bit. Works slick too. This way, the holes are always lined up with one another. You can even drill a 3/4" hole part way for an ehaust, with the 1/4' hole connecting with the 5/8" if you want to make a howler with a bigger bell. And again, all holes are perfectly lined up.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 04:25:47 PM »
Thanks Braz I copied the other post I did and then deleted part of the explanation of the drilling the end of the mandrel.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline rwehuntn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 10:23:19 PM »
Another good idea, Marvin what do you charge to make one of those and can you make it 1/2 inch?

rwehuntn