The Art of Handcrafting Custom Game Calls > Handcrafting Custom Duck Calls

Some Progress, some set backs....

(1/2) > >>

Curmudgeon:
Here are some calls from the wood I brought back from Hawaii, they have the Maple stoppers in them I dyed black in the pressure pot and then had to sand back to size. They sound great, but I have decided not to use them, except I needed something for the pic.  Left to right Koa, Monkey Pod and Ucalyptis. These were also finished with BLO and water based urathane, which, now that I've tried it, I won't use again. The finish is just not very hard. I may have dipped them too early after the BLO, but the Spar Urathane I normaly use I'm certain would have hardednd right up. The second pic is of some barrels I've had for a while, but I finaly just put an echo in them, or a simple Maple stopper and called them done. Left to right, birdseye Maple, Mesquite (a favorite wood of mine) home stabilized spalted Maple and home stabilized spalted Ash
Shawn, none of these are yours. :D..but if you like one in particular let me know, otherwise I have a piece of wood already picked out for the one I owe you. None of these are worthy.... 

HaMeR:
Looks like your die job went well for you. I really like the shape of them too. As I understand,, any oil based finish has to be completely dry & flashed off before a water finish can be applied over top. If you can smell the oil finish it's not ready for the water finish yet. HTH

VECtor Calls:
I think those stoppers turned out great for you!

Parker

GN-1:
Those look great Richard!!! You just send me what ever you want, but that birdseye is really shrarp ;D Shawn

Curmudgeon:

--- Quote from: HaMeR on May 07, 2008, 10:51:32 PM ---Looks like your die job went well for you. I really like the shape of them too. As I understand,, any oil based finish has to be completely dry & flashed off before a water finish can be applied over top. If you can smell the oil finish it's not ready for the water finish yet. HTH

--- End quote ---

Flashed Off ???

Is that what it sounds like it is ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version