Author Topic: lanyard length?  (Read 6642 times)

Offline sharkathmi

• New Forum Member
lanyard length?
« on: July 28, 2009, 09:57:24 AM »
Greetings All,
I'm just curious as to how long you lanyard makers are making your lanyards. Where does the keeper fall on your chest? At first my lanyards were coming out a bit long, to the point that if the call was located 3-4 inches below the keeper, and you brought it up to your mouth, you would pick up the keeper. These I have reserved for e-caller remote lanyards. I've adjusted my length shorter and am much happier with the outcome. I've discovered that keeping the overall lanyard length as short as possible will put the keeper as high on the chest as possible.
So, on your lanyards, when you pick up the center call, are you lifting the whole lanyard to get the call to your mouth? Or is the drop long enough to avoid this?
I didn't do a very good job of explaining this. Prolly as clear as mud! :wacko:
Thanks,
Mark

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
Re: lanyard length?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 01:52:30 PM »
There really is no standard length for a lanyard.  I get measurements from my customers so that they get what fits them.  There are a lot of differences that determine the length, height, neck size, a guy with a size 18 neck needs more length than one with a size 15, belly, guys with beer bellies want their lanyard either short or long so it hangs their way.  I use a string and mark it with the length, where they want the drops etc..

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 03:19:28 PM »

I agree with Marvin about the lengths.  Everyone has a different and personal preference.

And to add what Marvin said - a lanyard over a T-shirt will hang differently than the same lanyard on top of a heavy winter coat.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline swmohunter

• New Forum Member
    • Ozark Mountain Lanyards
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 04:27:12 PM »
If you are looking for a starting point I would look at 32-34 inches from keeper to keeper. I have found that if you get measurements from individuals, make sure they (or you) are measuring while they are wearing there hunting clothes. I have had a few that fit customers just like they wanted when wearing a t-shirt and was obviously way to small when wearing there cold gear. Good luck to you, and lets see some of them strings!

Nathan
Ozark Mountain Lanyards
http://ozarkmountainlanyards.com/

Offline sharkathmi

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 09:48:57 PM »
Thanks for the info fella's.
I'm in the ball park as I have measured a couple of mine of different lengths and they were 32" to 34".
I have been intentionally making them slightly different sizes so that with all variables that you have mentioned, someone should still be able to find one that fits them well. When you guys sell yours, knowing that different folks will want different lengths, do you tie them up before you sell them or just leave them untied.

Thanks,
Mark
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 10:18:48 AM by sharkathmi »

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 11:12:23 PM »

I always sell mine all tied up.  I haven't had any complaints yet.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Sgt Snyder

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 05:40:39 AM »
Just as a users point of view, I like my lanyards to be able to hold 3 calls with double drops on all three, and one single drop high on each side of the lanyard for a drake whistel on one side and a dog whistel on the other.
Sgt Snyder

Amerflyer48

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 08:29:43 PM »
I am 5'11" and about 250 and mine all seem to hit with the keeper at the bottom of my sternum, you do get some lift from the bottom but not a lot,..longer drops means more sway when walking and the keeper and main body seem to slow this down as the knotwork is stiffer than a few single strands. I will admit it is a balancing act between lifting the whole lanyard and wildly swinging calls..

The drops will vary as to where they come out of the neck loop depending on what style lanyard I am making and number of drops. 3 double drops on a duck lanyard are spaced differently than say 5 single drops on a predator lanyard with the goal of keeping the calls above my belt line

This length seems to work well as I have one on a larger hunting buddy and another on a smaller framed hunter  think Laurel & Hardy  :rofl:

As my lower loops are usually braided I tie all of them up before they get shipped out...that way they are good to hang calls as soon as the hunter gets it in the mail

Hope this helps...

John

Offline sharkathmi

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 09:57:45 PM »
I will admit it is a balancing act between lifting the whole lanyard and wildly swinging calls..

John

John,
That is exactly where I'm at right now. I personally want that lanyard loop so small that it barely fits over my head, puttting the keeper as high as possible and also making the drop length as short as possible. Also, my personal preference, is to have no lift when the call is at the mouth and you are blowing. I try to make 'em like I'd want them.

Thanks to everyone for your input and comments! :2up:

Mark

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 12:09:14 AM »
Getting the measurements and style the customer wants has helped us sell more lanyards.  Since we started to make the lanyards per order we have increased sales, and taken customers from others.  Most say that they like the custom fit better than the one size fits all.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline sharkathmi

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 08:52:25 AM »
Very interesting Marvin!
What I've done so far is vary the number of braids a small amount in some of the lanyards and note that on a hang tag. Also, when I take them to the store, I don't put them in plastic bags like the calls. That way folks can try them on for size / length. Thanks for your input!
Mark