Author Topic: Today's carving (another pic added!)  (Read 4657 times)

Yotehntr

Today's carving (another pic added!)
« on: July 18, 2009, 10:29:26 PM »
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 01:41:33 AM by Yotehntr »

alscalls

Re: Today's carving
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 11:29:12 PM »
You said to beat it in your head ...SOOOOOO......

Its cracked you knucklehead....... :tt2:

Rally I think your doing fine......
only thing that rally stands out is the dots around the inside of the mouth..... :bigup: :bigup:

alscalls

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 11:31:56 PM »
Buy the way you keep mentioning Music......I play guitar and have since I was a young child.....You?

Yotehntr

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 12:05:07 AM »
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 01:41:47 AM by Yotehntr »

Offline sharkathmi

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 12:24:12 AM »
Yotehntr,
Now I feel like a dope. I just sent Yotehntr a PM saying I could tell what kind of bird it was!! :rofl: :rofl:
Now I see it's a coyote :eek: :eek:
Well, ya see, it needed more definition!!
I'll sit r-e-a-l close to the monitor next time!
Mark

Yotehntr

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 01:13:32 AM »
 :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

I read the message 1st... "Nice carving what kind of bird is it".. I thought hmmm.... how am I going to break this to him?  LOL  now this should free people up for suggestions! I'm open to hear more....about the COYOTE HOWLING CARVING   :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Offline HuntnCarve

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 08:01:36 AM »
I want to see an "eye trough"!!!! LOL!  Make it deep, and then pull all the hair from the muzzle right into it.  Make the hairlines on the muzzle shorter, and not as deep.  The hair on the muzzle is not long like that on the neck.  Use a very pointy bit, and a light touch.  Once you get the eye trough worked out, then I'll tell you the next thing you need to do.

Dave
Dave Paul

HuntnCarve Calls

alscalls

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 08:45:13 AM »
" don't worry about repeating your selves, sometimes ya got to beat it into my head! "

ITS CRACKED............... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yotehntr

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 09:50:15 AM »
I misunderstood what the trough was. I re read what you had written about the eye and eye trough. Then I spent some time staring at my wife's dog ... it got nervous  LOL so I got on the net and started staring at some pics. I think I see what you are referring to now Dave. I'll attach a pic I found, I drew a red line at what I believe is the trough.... Is this right?   

Offline HuntnCarve

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 12:20:05 PM »
That's the start of it.  It proceeds, arcing downward towards the white of the jaw line. See the sort of delineation in the hair as it arcs off the end of the red line you drew. If you were to look at that photo head on, you would see it more clearly.  I tried to draw what I was talking about below.  The lines I drew should be slightly curved instead of straight.

Dave

Dave Paul

HuntnCarve Calls

Yotehntr

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 01:25:14 PM »
 :bigup: GOT IT!  Thanks Dave!!! I'm working on one now and will add the channel.

Brad

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 01:48:21 PM »
 :eek:  Talk about some precise expert help!   :eek:

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Yotehntr

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 04:28:11 PM »
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 01:42:03 AM by Yotehntr »

Offline HuntnCarve

• New Forum Member
Re: Today's carving (another pic added!)
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 05:27:59 PM »
Very good on the eye trough!  Now just below the eye, and sort of parallel to it (gentle arc) sort of make an shallow groove that goes back into the eye trough.  This will make the eye stand out.  You can see it on photos how there appears to be a little puff under the eye.

The one thing on your carving that seemed a little off was the sort of puffiness of the cheek?  I would have sort of reversed the way you have it. Keeping the jawline on the same plane.  But that's me. 
You're doing a very fine job my friend.  You'll find with each carving you do, that you'll pick up on little generally unnoticed features on a coyotes anatomy.  It's hard to explain?  One day your doing a carving, and looking at a photo, then Wham!  You see something that you've been missing.  I still have an awful time of it.  You seem to have picked it up rather quickly. :bigup:

Dave
Dave Paul

HuntnCarve Calls

Offline HuntnCarve

• New Forum Member
Re: Today's carving (another pic added!)
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 05:32:39 PM »
I just thought of something!  The shape of the call can make it tougher for certain carvings.  You are using a inward sweeping barrel (cove).  A straight, or flat barrel is a little easier to place, and work a carving.  Something to keep in mind.

Dave
Dave Paul

HuntnCarve Calls