The Art of Handcrafting Custom Game Calls > Handcrafting Custom Duck Calls

I'm no genius, but I am capable of learning !

(1/2) > >>

Curmudgeon:
So, I’m finally getting the details of making a decent toneboard worked out (did I say thanks Shawn ?) and I find my self wishing I could make the 5/8 tennon section of the stopper a bit more precise and with less trouble. I have read the tutorial on Al’s home site and I never could get the modified wrench trick to work, at all, no way Jose. I’m thinking, just like every step along the way so far, how come I have so much trouble with the things others breeze right by on? I go back to the tutorial and read it again and wham,  it hits me, it’s very important which side of the wrench you grind down ! Grind the wrong side (Like ME) and the angle of attack is completely wrong. Grind the other side, so the attack is facing as square as possible and it works as advertised.  I think some wrenches have more angle than others also, so that might make some of them worthless and some of them a better fits for this. So, If you are like me and tried this trick but could not get it to work for you, you might want to turn it over and grind the other side. If it works better, get a new wrench and start over using what you just learned. 

BigB:

I use the wrench method as well.  I think I use the opposite side as what most people do though? :-\  But it works for me.  Here's my selection of wrenches that I use for several purposes.

One technique to get the wrench method to work better is to make sure that the diameter of the material you are turning is close to the size of the wrench you are using.  ie - don't expect a 5/8" wrench to turn down a 1" diameter peice of material very well.  If you want a 5/8" diameter tennon, get the material to around .7" and then let the wrench technique take over.

I use the wrench technique to get the material close to the correct diameter where the bands go on my call bodies.

Apply the sharpened end of the wrench to the material, and when it slides over the material, you're done!

Brian

Curmudgeon:
Supper reply Brian ! I just got a 5/8 wrench to work, now I need a pair for the band trennons. I do think I am using the other side, but whatever works, works. I also noticed you had very little ground off. I have a lot, in fact the one I just fininshed is pretty weird looking, but it works well for me. I'm going to break down and get a set of digital calipers also. So much faster to read, especialy with my old tired eyes. Thanks for taking the time to post up the pictures.

BigB:

I keep all of my wrenches just as sharp as all of my other lathe tools.  They all get the same wet stone sharpening treatment.  If the wrenches are dull, it doesn't make it very much fun, just like the lathe tools!
Brian

Al_at_THO Game Calls:
I think a set of digital calipers is very important, expecially when it comes to putting on your bands.

I clean the inside of the band, and, this is very important, make sure there is not a ridge left from the cutting and polishing on the inside. 

Once the band is smooth on the inside, I take a measurement and then cut the tennon 1 or 2 thousands over size.  Then when I glue the band on I force it on with either a block of wood and a hammer or I put it in a big drill press vice to seat the band. 

As for the wrench trick, this was something I leanred years ago on CCO, but like so many things, it gets bumped to the back pages or just goes away when they do the forum updates so I decided to post it here.   Who would think of searching on wrench to find a way to cut tennons anyway LOL.

A really good source of wrenches for this are yard sales.  You can usually find old ones and buy them for less than a buck, often for 25 cents or so.

Glad you got it work for you though.   

Al @ THO

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version