Author Topic: Carving  (Read 4089 times)

Yotehntr

Carving
« on: July 12, 2009, 12:18:24 PM »
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 01:42:57 AM by Yotehntr »

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
Re: Carving
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 12:43:18 PM »

Brad, I'm not a carver, but I will try to write a few things that I see.  First off - it appears you have some serious talent for the carving aspect that just going to get better with time.  You've got some skillz and I can't wait to see some of your future work!  On the stippling, a random pattern looks better than rows of stippling.  Above the coyotes head is an area in particular.  It's not a big issue, just a small thing I noticed. 

Are you going for a siloette profile, or are you wanting to put some carving details into the coyote? If you are wanting to put carving details into it, the area between the coyotes head and shoulder doesn't quite look finished yet.  The neck area and where the coyotes ear will be could use some transition details.  Again not a huge issue, but a few distinguishing details an area that will make it a bit better in appearance.

These are my opinions, so take them as that.  I am really excited to see you put some carvings on your calls.  This is going to be awesome!

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Yotehntr

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 12:54:21 PM »
Thanks Brian! That's exactly what I'm looking for! To answer your question I'm not going for a silhouette I'm wanting to get into the detail work your describing. It will take some time but I'm really enjoying it...even though it's kicking my butt! LOL I've been doing this same pose over and over (and over) guess it's my music background, I feel like you need to get something mastered before you move on. I'm sure I'll move on before it's mastered but I want to get the most out of each pose before I do. Again THANK YOU!!! for your input and any more is very much appreciated!

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 12:59:21 PM »
I agree with Brian, that you are some talent that is waiting to be exposed. I wish I could do even half as well as you have done here. I also agree that the stippling looks wrong. I also don't like the way the head and neck run together. Can't see any ears at all. Seems more defination of the forehead and the ears, leading to the skull then the neck would be better. Not sure how to do that, just thinking outloud. If you cover it at the eyes forward, there is no indication at all of what you are looking at. Sure glad to see you trying this. When you get it perfected it's going to be great.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline HuntnCarve

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 12:59:56 PM »
Brad, you need to create an eye channel groove coming off the corner of the back of the eye.  You also need to cut a small groove in front of the ear to delineate it from the eye.  There's a little bit of space (forehead) between the two.  Also dish out the ear ever so slighty on the inside to give it some depth.   Something with the pose you are using, with the coyotes head way back like that, it's eye would be more of a slit. Instead of wide open.   I also agree with BigB about the spaced stippling.  You need to go with a random pattern.  The spaced stippling draws the eye away from the carving. Thats my opinion for what its worth..

Dave
Dave Paul

HuntnCarve Calls

Yotehntr

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 02:13:32 PM »
Thank you Braz! I see what your talking about with the ears. and until Dave mentioned the eye "channel" didn't have a clue how to get it either. I'm thinking it's the "forehead" that Dave mentioned to give the ear more of a starting point. Folks don't have to know how to do the carving to see something is wrong. It just helps when they point out areas that need work.  I'm really looking forward to doing another one and trying to add these details.

I was hoping you'd jump in Dave! Now that you talk about an  "eye groove channel" I know/see what your talking about. I think that's what Braz was refering to.  The eye seems to be giving me some trouble I hit it right 1 time (more of a slit) and the rest went down hill. LOL I'll give the random patern a shot. I haven't done a good background yet. Seems that the part I took for granted is quite a wrestling match for me. I looked at the picture that I was carving from and I see that the hair  I was interpreting as ear was messing up the space (forehead) you're referring to.  I have a call waiting to be mutilated carved on now! LOL This is all VERY helpful to me. Thank you!!!

Offline Lonehowl

• New Forum Member
  • Varmints Inc. Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 03:24:31 PM »
Brad, thats good work! Nothing I can add here, accept the first things that caught my eye were the uniform stippling and the eye slit that both needs to be changed as in the above suggestions. Your gonna be real good at this!
 Great work man.
Mark.

alscalls

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 07:49:37 PM »
I like it... but I do agree something needs done around/on that ear/eye....I cant wait to see your progress as my eyes are leaving me to much to do the art work anymore......You are gonna be AWESOME at this no doubt in my mind....  :rockon:

Yotehntr

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 09:09:59 PM »
Thanks guys! I still have a long way to go! This is really fun. Takes a heck of a long time though. About the eye's Al...MAGNIFYING GLASS!!! LOL I have a magnifying lamp, and bifocal safety glasses! If I could find stronger of each I'd buy 'em too! It seems like I loose some depth perception with them though. Then after I take 'em away from the magnifying lamp it takes a few secs for my eyes to refocus. I'm as persistent as they come and I really enjoy this, I may fill several drawers in the file (13) cabnet, but I'll keep on trying! I'll have to find a good example of the groove Dave was talking about, I'm having trouble getting it right. Even another pic of a coyote in that pose, the one I'm using I'm changing from a little bit of an angle so I'm not seeing the groove (where it starts) he's talking about. I'm not any kind of an artist at all, just persistent enough to keep trying.  :yes:

Offline HuntnCarve

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 09:41:52 PM »
Brad,
Think of the eye as a small triangle layed on it's side. Now instead of straight lines for it's side, use curved lines. Sort of imagine a marble inside a triangle?  Work around the sides of these arcs to slowly create a somewhat round eye.  Then from the back corner make a slightly downward curving line to create the eye trough.  The muzzle sweeps gradually from the nose to this eye trough.  It sort of dead ends in the trough for lack of a better description?  Get the eye right, and the the rest will follow!  Do your texturing (hair carving) on the portion of a coyotes face that is not white in color.  On the white portions, just lightly scuff it, or use very light texturing. It's alot harder than folks realize to carve in the round, and particularly on bare wood.  The problem comes when you try and add too much detail.  Then it overwhelms the carving.  I used to hate having to paint a carving.  But the more I did, the better I got at it.  Now I enjoy the painting part as much as the carving part.  The two go hand in hand when it's done right.  You're doing pretty good, so don't get discouraged.  I had certain poses that I hated doing early on.  Now they are no problem.  Just takes alittle practice.  Keep at it!  Don't be afraid to ask for help.
Dave
Dave Paul

HuntnCarve Calls

Yotehntr

Re: Carving (another pic)
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 12:39:00 AM »
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 01:42:38 AM by Yotehntr »

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 02:01:37 AM »
Oh yea, you are getting there. That is much better.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

alscalls

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 07:44:17 AM »
 :bigup: :bigup: :bigup: I like that! Are ya gonna put a finish on it? Thats a keeper in my book.

Offline HuntnCarve

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 08:22:58 AM »
Much better!  You recognized the fact that the hair on the muzzle is alittle too coarse, and the direction is off.  When doing the muzzle, make very tiny lines that flow from the nose towards the eye.  Then as you approach the checks you can get alittle coarser. Sort of imagine water flowing towards a rock (eye).  As it hits the rock it wraps around both sides, then sort of joins back. That's how the hair flows. The ear still looks a tad bit off?  Try making a small tuft of longer hair under the ear.  Or cut into the ear channel at it's base. Just like it would appear on a real coyote or dog. 
Dave Paul

HuntnCarve Calls

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 08:28:21 AM »

I think the stippling looks great!

The only thing that needs a bit of modification is the ear.  The ear looks a little bit too large.  Other than that, it is a fantastic piece!!!!!!!!!  :bigup:

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.