Author Topic: Madrone Burl.........  (Read 2949 times)

alscalls

Madrone Burl.........
« on: July 09, 2009, 02:54:13 PM »
Madrone Burl........Distress.......

Comments welcome.......

Offline spitfire

• New Forum Member
Re: Madrone Burl.........
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 03:00:08 PM »
I think the overall call looks great. If it were me the only thing I would change is I would use a high gloss finish on a piece of wood like that to get it to POP and to show off that great looking grain but that is just me. What kind of finish did you use on it?

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 12:27:50 PM »
Very nice Al!!!! I sent your Elk antler off and bunch of wood I'm sure you will make it all look as good as the calls you always post and I can't wait to see what all you make. The applewood maybe a bit wet yet so let it air dry for a few months before you cut it up to be sure.

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

alscalls

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 01:04:45 PM »
Larry............I do Not know what to say.......I got the box in the mail today and HOLY CRAP!!!.....I am thinking a call up for ya that I hope will blow your mind it will take me a couple of weeks so I am sure it is right as rain for ya...
 :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:
You did not need to send that much the antler would have been fine.

I used DEFT on this call and it is a lot more Glossy in person....I try to tone that down for the pics and use no flash so the reflection aint to bad....I can make a real glassy looking call but I would rather hunt with it and aint a huge fan of putting one on the shelf as that does not promote hunting in my eyes....The only calls I have kept for myself are retired from lots of hunting or on my lanyard right now........and they are few but its all I need.
I quit duck hunting many years ago and if someone gives me a duck call.......I then give it to a duck hunter...None will be on display as it gives me the feeling my world of hunting is only in the past and this is whats left....
I know it sounds weird but I could be a lot worse.
I have owned hundreds if not thousands of calls and there is maybe 20 in the house right now some are for sale and some I hunt with....Most I will probably give away if there is a need.
If someone requests one I can make it....but if its for show, I will refer them to someone else as I would rather they hunt with it. I am just weird like that I guess.
I thought about staining this one and see what that does...... :wacko: I just like O-natural I guess.

Offline Repeat

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 12:40:57 PM »
Al real pretty looking call I love that wood I just got back from Oregon i meet I guy at garage sale ( looking for antlers ) he turns bowels he showed me one out of madrone so nice looking really showed off the grain on larger piece...great job as all ways...
Repeat
Will Hunt For Food

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 01:04:12 PM »
Al -

You are such a show off  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Pretty call, nice wood.   Good job all the way around.

Al @ THO   (the other Al)

alscalls

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 03:51:02 PM »
This one went to Tenn. and I just got a real good review of it from the customer...... :punk:

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 10:58:46 PM »
Good for you Al :bigup: :bigup: :bigup:

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF