Author Topic: Don't tell no one....  (Read 6125 times)

Offline schwert

• New Forum Member
Re: Don't tell no one....
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 01:13:34 PM »
Nice project.

I have some apple wood drying for a bowl project....not sure when that will ever happen though.

When I carve green wood, I generally get my project (spoon) roughed out then either put it with a large amount of shavings into a plastic bag in the refer for a few days....to stabilize the water content.

Then I remove it from the refer and bury it in shavings in a big rubber tub....moveing it "up" in the shavings each day until it is on the top of them.  By the time I have worked it to the top of the tub it is fully dry and ready for final work.

Some people put their rough bowls etc in a paper bag to slow the drying but I have never found that to work as well as the shavings and refer approach.

This long birch bowl is about 1/2" thick, I carved it fully-green, and I spent probably 2 weeks moving it around in chips to prevent it from splitting on me.

Offline justannie

• New Forum Member
    • BKC Turkey Calls
Re: Don't tell no one....
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 11:53:17 PM »
It doesn't hurt to soak the bowl longer in the DNA. I had a thinner bowl in for two days. Took it out filled it with shavings from turning it and brown bagged it. Surprised me that it was dry in a week.
Bonnie K