Author Topic: Predator Call mp3 downloads?  (Read 15257 times)

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Predator Call mp3 downloads?
« on: January 21, 2008, 01:32:33 PM »
Anyone know where I can go on the web to find mp3 downloads for my new predator caller I'm making today?  Got the call and the original sounds off of varmital.com but I'm wondering about the coyote sounds.  If I'm using a mp3 for my sound, you know the quality is good, so why am I not using real coyote sounds rather than recording of hand calls?

I hope I don't get poked on too bad for asking this question to a bunch of hand call makers.   ;D

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
Re: Predator Call mp3 downloads?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 02:01:21 PM »
E callers are EVIL

You're banned    ;D

Al @ THO

ps - I sent you an E mail

« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 02:26:26 PM by Al_at_THO »

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 01:49:59 AM »
HAHAHA!  I figured since there wasn't very many responses that I was in BIG trouble! 

I will never talk about e-callers again!  MY BAD!   :P   :-X

;D

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline rwehuntn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 08:21:06 PM »
No trouble Parker,

I own an e caller and even use it when I have a cold  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I have a cd somewhere from western rivers (My first e caller was the predation, don't waste your money on it) I can try to email you some of the sounds from it if you like. I believe they are mp3 format. Let me know.

rwehuntn

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 09:07:02 PM »
An un-named birdie sent me a metric ton of them last night, so I'll probably sift through them.  Thanks for the offer.  I may end up taking you up on it when I get organized.   ;)

I need some help with setup on these buggers gentlemen.

Give me an idea for a daytime sequence where I'd be possibly having bobbies coming in too......

And then another sequence for night time calling by moonlight.  (I had them howling up a storm last night, and I'm HOOKED).

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline rwehuntn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 09:23:23 PM »
I have only called in four bobcats that I know of so I am no expert by any means. All four of the bobcats I saw came in to jack dist. three to hand call and one to foxpro.
I hear bird distress works well for them but I have not called one in with that. I am not sure what terrain you hunt, but I hunt the desert. That being said, all the bobcats have been seen in heavy cover. All of them responded within ten minutes of calling and this is not typical from what I understand. I expect any small animal distress would give you a fair chance of seeing a cat, along with possibly a cat distress or mating sounds.

As far as sequences go, I pick a sound for a stand and stick with it. I will alternate sounds/calls between stands so it does not get boring. I think this also helps to target animals that have been called/shot at before.

Just my 2 cents.

rwehuntn

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 10:09:46 PM »
Great reply rwe.  I can take a lot out of that.  There was a sequence I pulled up yesterday that had a different sound every two minutes.  Sound for two minutes, two minutes silence, and then another sound for two minutes.  I thought at the time, "This is NOT the way to do this......."

I sure like the sound of the jackrabbit.  The yotes were going NUTZ over it last night. 

They also like the yote sounds for responding.  Does them responding do anything for me????  Does it mean they're coming, or just that they hear me, or do I do it just to know that they're in the area to keep me going? 

One of the sounds on there was a bird, and NOTHING ever responded to it by sound, or showing up. 

The cottontail called in an owl last night.

There's a LOT of bobbies around here, no problem.  They live in the draws and creekbeds.  I'm in hilly farm country in the midwest.  Crop fields, CRP fields and cow pastures......depending on the soil where you're specifically standing.

I've got some cat sounds now, so I'll have to try some of them.

Thanks for the tips and ideas!

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline rwehuntn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 12:31:55 AM »
The coyotes responding does a few things for you:

1. It lets you know they are in the area. This is important for obvious reasons, but the most important for me is it helps you have confidence in the area you hunt. Keep in mind though, just because the coyotes are there it does not mean they will come to the call. Don't get frustrated and think you are doing anything wrong. I have called at coyotes I can see in a field and had them just keep mousing. Talk about drive you crazy! You never can tell what a coyote will do when called at.

2. It lets you know that you got their attention. For whatever reason you have caused a reaction from the coyotes. This is good on one hand, but again it can get frustrating if they don't show for whatever reason.

3. It lets you know what kind of area that particular group of coyotes prefers. This will help you to know what types of terrain to target in that area.

I have had mixed results when I have had coyotes respond vocally to my calling. Sometimes one comes, other times one doesn't. I personally think this is due to the individual coyote, and it may have little to nothing to do with the caller. I do know I have shot more coyotes and not heard vocal responses than the times they have howled at me.

I have called in coyotes with bird distress, as well as cottontail distress and fawn distress. I think the coyotes will respond depending on what it wants. I do not think a coyote has a "memory", but I do think in pressured areas they relate certain things to danger, human scent for example. This is another reason I will alternate calls/sounds in a given area. This is also why I think it is important to tune closed reed calls. It gives them a little different sound from other calls using the same reed. Remember a coyote is a dog, their hearing and sense of smell is what feed them and keep them safe. A coyotes hearing is unbelievable. and they, like dogs have a much better ability to locate and differentiate sounds. The only way to call predators in is to either find a dumb one or to outsmart a smart one. In order to do this you need to do things just different enough from other hunters to not alert the predator. Just talk to someone that has been hunting predators since before it was popular. Dollars to doughnuts they will tell you about the "Good old days" when they called animals in every stand. While this may be an exaggeration to a certain extent, I will guarantee you they did call more critters in.

These are just a few of my thoughts on this subject, I hope they help you. I could go on but I don't want to bore anyone. Again, I am not an expert on any aspect of calling predators, but I do spend alot of time doing it and I have a fair amount of success IN MY AREA. This is different than where you are, so I can not speculate about what the predators will do there. I wish I had the opportunity to hunt a more diverse area/habitat but it is just not feasible at this time.

Again, I hope this helps.

rwehuntn

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 01:39:16 AM »
Now I know you are in Nevada, but just where in Nevada?
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 05:15:33 AM »
Good info!  I'll start playing with all different sounds, and see what I come up with.  Bobby season is almost over here, so I may just have to stick to the yotes.  I think this is going to be a good time.  There's a LOT of untapped places to hunt the boogers around here.   :D

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline rwehuntn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 10:43:00 AM »
Braz,

Sorry, I did not answer you sooner. I live about 35 miles east of Carson City, on highway 50. Maybe an hour from Lake Tahoe.

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 11:03:38 AM »
Braz - Don't get him started telling you about the hunting there.  You'll end up like me.....wanting to move :)

AL @ THO

Offline rwehuntn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 11:51:36 AM »
Hey,

I can't help it. ;D I moved from the communist republic of california 8) 10 years ago and have NEVER missed it.

By the way, you guys want pictures? I will  take some on my next hunting trip of the hunting areas and post in the man cave.

rwehuntn

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 01:19:05 PM »
Yep, know where you live. Great country. I've tried talking my wife into moving out of Natzifornia, to no avail. I may come visit you this coming spring. Maybe we can do a bit of hunting. I live in Yuba City, just north of Sacramento. Your're not far at all.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline rwehuntn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 06:40:11 PM »
Any time Braz, I always like to hunt with new people. Just let me know ahead of time, we'll clear a landing spot for ya. Spring is a great time for the coyotes around here, unfortunately all the other furbearers season closes at the end of Feb. The good news is you do not need a hunting license for coyote hunting.