Author Topic: I think we are going to dive in  (Read 3932 times)

Offline spitfire

• New Forum Member
I think we are going to dive in
« on: May 21, 2009, 01:45:14 PM »
I have been looking for something for my wife to do to help me out since she now stays home with our 3 month old. I am thinking I can get her to start doing some lanyards for me. Nothing to extreme just your typical lanyards. So where is the best place to get an order from to see how it goes? What all should I order? Would anybody be interested in trading some supplies for a call? or maybe call blanks?

Thanks in advance for any help
Jason

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
Re: I think we are going to dive in
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 06:46:33 PM »

I first started off with about 250 ft each of black and tan 550 parachute cord.  You can get away with much less than that if you want to just try it out - probably around 25 feet of each color will get ya started.  Al looks like he is out of paracord right now in the Supply Store, but he's a good place to get some cord in shorter lengths to try your hand at one.  If you want to do lots of them, then there are quite a few suppliers out there that sell 550 paracord in 250 ft, 500 ft, and 1000 ft rolls.  Ebay also has paracord.  Some places are limited on colors and other places have lots of colors, but they are a bit more expensive to cover the overhead of all of the colors.  I'm not going to recommend one place over another, because some sell shorter lengths cheaper than others, but others sell the longer lengths cheaper that some.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Amerflyer48

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 07:30:44 PM »
Al also has some good tutorials here for a basic lanyard..

check out your local army/navy store or police supply outfit.. any long cords will do

my first lanyards were made of the cammo cording at wally world in the camping section, however I have found thet "550" cord is better to show the knotting/braid work

John

Offline spitfire

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 08:19:09 PM »
Great thanks for the info. I will pick up some of the cord from walmart to practice with and go from there. Are there other tutorials that are out there not listed on the site? I plan to use Al's to start but would like to see some others as well.

Offline spitfire

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 08:32:22 PM »
Another quick question. Which style would you say would be best to start with? The round braid?

Amerflyer48

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 08:34:11 PM »
come join us in the chat room,..

John