Author Topic: Acrylic highlights  (Read 2791 times)

Offline GN-1

• New Forum Member
Acrylic highlights
« on: April 20, 2008, 08:01:40 AM »
Kellyscalls over on cco posted a thread about using acrylic hobby paint to fill voids. Well that got me to thinking about a barrel and an insert I had laying around so I decided to try a few things. I filled the grooves on the barrel and the voids in the spalted wood with a watermelon colored acrylic paint. Then just sanded the excess off and put a finish over it. It turned out pretty cool. I may play around with this some more to see what I get, but I mainly want to see what ya'll might come up with using this method. Shawn

The picture looks a little fuzzy to me on here, actually the lines on the barrel are nice and sharp like burn lines.

Offline iahntr

• New Forum Member
Re: Acrylic highlights
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 09:28:20 AM »
I think it looks perty cool.
I like the filled voids to match the accent lines.
I think it'd be another nice option on laminates,
or when you're butting up two different materials.
Thanks for sharin. Good job.   
                                                  Scott

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 09:57:12 AM »
That color really shows nicely on those woods.  ;D

I use gold & silver powders & super glue for accent rings or repairs on pens.
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 04:02:30 PM »
I like what you did. Looks great. I've used inlace material with different colored powders before to fill cracks. Just surface cracks that is. Beats tossing the call away and really makes it look nice.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 06:54:42 PM »

I like the looks of the paint in the burn lines, but I'm not sure about the paint in the void areas. :-\   Maybe it's the color, but to me, it's not as catchy as the paint in the burn lines.  The painted burn lines are really sweet. 8)

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 09:27:54 PM »
over on the AAW (Association of American Woodturners) board, this has been discussed for some time now.  A lot of guys use the acrylic paint to fill voids -  but word has it, they stole it from the people who turn Gords.  Go figure. 

I can't remember ever seeing anyone do it on the burn lines.  I think that is an idea that is going to really catch on, and with all the colors out there, it should be interesting.   Great thinking outside the box as they say.  The call came out beautifuly.

Al @ THO

Offline misfire

• New Forum Member
    • misfiregamecalls.com
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 11:26:58 AM »
I just found a guy local that sells exotic burls, mainly from Australia. He gave me a few small pieces of amboyna, corrugata, thuya and brown mallee. A few of these woods have bad problems with inclusions and he told me what he does. He makes vessels and only sells at art shows nationwide. He made a vessel last year out of red mallee that had a lot of inclusions, so he filled these cracks with silver solder, then finish sanded and sprayed casket lacquer over the vessel. Sold it for $10,000 :D
misfiregamecalls.com

#1700 God bless