Author Topic: Call Dipping Question  (Read 1413 times)

Offline knightmare831

• New Forum Member
  • High Speed Wood Whittler
    • Outdoors Addiction Game Calls
Call Dipping Question
« on: May 05, 2009, 12:41:39 PM »
I was wondering about something today and wondered what you guys did.  I finish my calls with the bands on them when I use a dipping finish such as spar or polycrylic.  The question comes in with oily woods like cocobolo and bocote and others.  I know that dipping the oily wood in the finish without an acetone treatment first will cause the call not to dry and also mess up the dipping material.  I use gorilla glue to glue my bands on and keep them clamped for 24 hours before doing anything else to the call.  Will dipping the call in mineral spirits weaken the glue holding my band on or will I be ok?  I don't want to ruin a good batch of finish but i also don't want to waste a band on a call that i can't use.  Thanks in advance. 

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Re: Call Dipping Question
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 01:56:01 PM »
I read an article on finishing oily woods in an issue of Fine Woodworking that treating the wood's surface with acetone or other evaporating chemicals to remove the surface oil simply encourages more oil to migrate to the surface.  That article recommended shooting the surface with a 2lb cut of dewaxed shellac (Zinsser or otherwise) from a mix or a spray can before applying the final finish.  The shellac will dry whether or not the surface is oily.  Your final finish could then be applied after sanding with very fine sandpaper.

I've used shellac to refinish the knob and tote on several of my antique hand planes, and that is rosewood.  Works like a champ.

Offline knightmare831

• New Forum Member
  • High Speed Wood Whittler
    • Outdoors Addiction Game Calls
Re: Call Dipping Question
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 01:40:57 PM »
Thanks KC.  I'm gonna have to give that a try.