Author Topic: spray or dip?  (Read 6364 times)

Offline Repeat

• New Forum Member
Re: spray or dip?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2009, 04:23:40 PM »
Brian, Mutt
I made a little turning lathe out of a roastire once back when I use to build custom fishing rods it worked out slick for applying the clear coat finish to my wrappings don't know why it wouldn't work for duck calls and such you guys got me wondering now going to have to find it and try it out!! Should you thin out your finish to dip or do you always dip straight out of can ?
Repeat
Will Hunt For Food

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 06:51:12 PM »
I used the min-wax poly to dip my calls this weekend. They are my first calls and I diped them right in the can and hung them up. I had to turn them frequently to keep the drip from forming but the end result was worth it. I think they look great!
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline Poor Valley

• New Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 11:46:15 AM »
I also use the polycrilic and usually batch process. Use an airbrush to apply the finish. First application is sort of a semi-sealer, back to the lathe and steel wool. Final coats applied in rotation all at the same setting, until desired results are achieved.

Time per pot is about 5 mniutes and no runs or drips. Airbrush cleanup is a snap since the poly is water base.
Maker of Poor Valley Bench Made Turkey Calls. Field grade slate and glass calls with a world class sound.

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 09:54:57 AM »
I think I've devised a good dipping method for my pots....TREBLE HOOKS.  Big ones like they use for BIG catfish.  I can run a treble hook from the inside of the call through the center hole so I'd be dipping them with the bottom of the call facing up.  The hook can be pushed into the wood enough to make it stay put, and would also facilitate hanging for drying.  Call me crazy but I can't think of any other way to dip a pot without screwing up the finish.

Now a question on finish...
I've switched to spray spar urethane for my calls.  I want to dip them in spar but I'm thinking the spar should be thinned.  What do I thin it with, and how many thinned coats are necessary?  How long does a thinned coat take to dry?  72 hours between coats on this spray stuff is killing me, and it stays tacky for days!!!  Advice?