Author Topic: 1st place and best of show in southeasten nc callmaking comp.  (Read 4712 times)

Offline fowl attitude

• New Forum Member
    • fowlattitudecalls.com

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
Re: 1st place and best of show in southeasten nc callmaking comp.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 08:43:09 AM »
What do you expect from a bunch of turkey hunters  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Man, THAT comment ought to stir the pot this morning  :pot: :pot: :pot: :pot: :pot: :pot: :pot:  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hang in there, it's Friday, and only two more working days until Monday!

Al @ THO

Amerflyer48

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 09:17:18 AM »
So K :censored: H makes duck calls now ??

:pot:  :pot:  :pot:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:   :pot:  :pot: stir baby stirrr

looks pretty standard,... sure they didn't put you in the wrong category ?? or was it an "Apples and Oranges" Competition ?

Ribbons not included so no provenance for collectors ??

I bet we'd get a letter from you about the calls history,.. where do you start the bid for your call ?

I'm not saying the call us unworthy to win or yours to not,.. just that there should have been 2 categories , I'm sure they wouldn't put a painted box call in with decorative carved box calls and say "here's second"

I'm going with Al on this one "bunch of turkey hunters"  now I'm off to check my vest,..only a few weeks left to get a bird   :rofl: :rofl: then the real season countdown begins

Thanks for letting me stir with you guys

John

« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 09:20:04 AM by Amerflyer48 »

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 10:32:29 AM »
Not an overly beutiful call in my opinion. That's a weird color on the insert, must be the light in the picture.

Hang in there, they were probably judged by someone who has never seen a mallard come in feet first to anything but a park bench... :pot:

I'm a firm believer that if it's a waterfowl call contest, it should be judged by someone who not only knows them, but understands the process and materials of callmaking. Sometimes that's the only way they can be properly judged, and appriciated for what they are.

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline knightmare831

• New Forum Member
  • High Speed Wood Whittler
    • Outdoors Addiction Game Calls
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 10:59:06 AM »
Look another winning call with an echo insert, lol.

Offline riverat

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 05:24:41 PM »
FA,you really can,t be upset over that work when you can turn some outstanding work out like you do. :no:  looks to me like the guy that made that call finished the barrel with 20 grit paper.
                                                                                                        Riverat
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 02:46:19 AM by riverat »

Offline GameThumper

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 05:45:56 PM »
I'm with you all on the wrong doing of this thing they called a contest... but remember it's not the fault of the guy that was so impressed by his work that he entered it in a contest and won... The public hanging should involve the
judges and the one that called out the winner. He must have been a defense attorney with no conscience.

If YOU ground check it,
It goes on YOUR strap.

Offline Curmudgeon

• New Forum Member
    • Tail Gunner Duck Calls
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 06:05:38 PM »
Jake, this is one of those "life isn't fair" lessons we have all had in one form or another.
Your a little bit wiser a call maker now. I was in NC this week on business. Everyone, and I mean everyone, was so nice and the dogwoods are in full bloom. Still I have to wonder about them judges and the goofy way that comp was run.

June 2009 Call Makers Throwdown Winner !

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 06:43:54 PM »
First this competition was run by the NWTF, they have a real "odd" system for competition.  If you don't know how it operates then you need to read the rules, better to read them twice.  The burn and save your money.  The Guild has basically the same rules, I believe they actually copied and then changed a few words so they would be their "rules".  All of the judges know who the callmaker is, they claim there is no bias.  I trust them, I know if I was the judge I would be as unbiased and chose only the best.  The "good ole boy" system and the "friendship"  system are all in the past and has no basis or bearing on how the calls are judged.  I trust them so much that I do NOT enter any competition of the NWTF or any thing even related to them.  When I say related if there is a N, W, T or F in any of the paper work I trash it.  I save mine for the hunters that know what they want, no ribbons or medals ever paid the bills.

Now for this particular call, I cannot judge it and I don't think anyone on here really can.  We cannot run it through the system and see what it sounds like.  Hey, it maybe the best sounding call that ever had an Echo stuck in it.  On the other hand the insert may have been modified and really be the best sounding call entered into the competition.  On the other hand the call may be awful, it may sound more like a varmint call than a duck call, maybe the judges were a varmint hunters and thought the sounds were the best they had heard.   Who knows?
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 07:08:48 PM »
Mudge, you are right.  Carolina has some of the most peaceful folks you'll ever meet.   :bigup: :bigup: :bigup:  I'm not crazy about that call myself.... the insert doesn't bother me, it's the totallity of the call.  I know there are some call makers in that area where they have the DDC (Raliegh).  I can assure you, if they would have entered their calls there, this paricular call would not have won.  Then again, it's up to the judges.

Mutt
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline knightmare831

• New Forum Member
  • High Speed Wood Whittler
    • Outdoors Addiction Game Calls
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 08:03:43 PM »
All I have to say about the first place winner is the fact that his booth was set up beside the judging area inline with the entrance.  His table was not even a foot from the entrance.  The entire time the judging was going on his pro staff were blowing their calls constantly and extremely loudly.  I was at the judging area when the judging was going on and I couldn't even hear my wife standing right beside me talking over these guys.  I'll also add in the fact that the callmaker is also a guide and outfitter in NC.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 10:18:44 PM »
Just like I thought!  The Empire of the NWTF strikes again!  It is a shame that the system that was created to help sportsman can become as low as it has become.  I believe if you support their functions with enough donated calls you will may become a "winner".  Sorry I will take my toys and go home before that will ever happen.
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline fowl attitude

• New Forum Member
    • fowlattitudecalls.com
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 11:20:53 PM »
hey guys i am not trying to bash the guys calls. i use the echo polys to they are great and i have alot of buddies that work at echo. i would never bash someones calls. you are right the judges are the ones im talking about. i just wanted you guys to see what was going on at this competition. i not saying i am done with the comps but it will be a long time before i enter another one seeing how these things go. now that im truly done with my rant, we can let this whole thing die.(until i see the 3rd place call on ebay lol)
i hope they put mine on there. someone is going to have a heck of a time out bidding me if i have to ill take out a second mortgage. j/k. i would really love to have that call back so far it has been my favorite one. if you see it let me know i would really love to have it. thanks guys for letting me get this out of my system. you guys are the best. thanks for all of the kind words and for trying to lift my spirits back up.

ryan