Author Topic: Lanyard breakaway/safety  (Read 4577 times)

Offline Dead I

• New Forum Member
Lanyard breakaway/safety
« on: April 15, 2009, 12:41:38 AM »

1st Let me say Hello, long time lerker 1st time writer, just signed up today and have a  few questions for the more experienced craftsman. I recently started making some lanyards, Thanks to Al and others, and am looking at the oppurtunity to sell a few of them. So here are the questions for those who make and sell lanyards.      What measures do you take to avoid a choking hazzard? Make them breakaway, if so how? OR Do you have waivers drawn up for your customers that they use at thier own risk? I hate to sound paranoid but unfortunately we live in a world where people get paid for pooring hot coffee on them selves.  Thanks for any and all help with this.   

Travis

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
Re: Lanyard breakaway/safety
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 06:38:31 PM »
When I sold them, I always had a disclaimer.   I dont know if that will cover you or not really, but it made me feel better.   I don't remember how it went exactly as I stopped selling them a few years ago.

I agree that there are those out there you have to wonder about, but if you are really worried about it, I would call a lawyer and see if you can get a free consultation.   A good one to talk to would be one of the lawyers who works for state organizations like Gun Owners of America or any other pro hunting or gun org in your area.   Heck, for a free lanyard they might even draft one up for you.

Good luck and lets see some lanyards!

Al @ THO

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 07:09:13 PM »
That never crossed my mind but it wouldn't surprise me if somebody would try and sue a lanyard maker. I bet it could be a fun time in court listening to his story on how he ended up hanging from a tree for hours.   :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: 

John
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Amerflyer48

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
Travis,

Well,.. I'm out.....actually I never thought of that as a problem,...Hmmm

6 strands of woven 550 cord would hold about,...3,000 Lbs.  :smartass: and I don't need anybody suing me for using it to tow cars,.thus aiding and abetting grand theft auto  :rofl:  :rofl: I bet you could hang a moose from some of the lanyards we have seen here... :eek: :surrender: and Kangaroo leather is pretty tough too.. :taz:

Seriously,.. 
     I guess one could weave in a fast-tex buckle however I don't know the force required to "break" it.. this one pops at an advertised 15 Lbs. http://www.plastic-buckle.com/ps17safetybreakawaybuckle1pc.aspx  my question to that would be if you would be just as liable if the buckle fails ?? The other question is how to balance the safe working load of a lanyard full of calls ( maybe 2 or 3 Lbs. which goes up to maybe 12 Lbs. shock load if you jump from one place to another) read : "I was hunting the other day with a lanyard full of custom THO calls and now I don't have them anymore  :censored: "  and when it has to let go for hunters safety, how much force to pull him to danger or doom..

Can you send waivers out after the customer has taken delivery ? ? or should I just ship sharp knives.

How do the "big boys of retail" handle this ?? I will check the packaging next time I'm at BassPro

John

Offline swmohunter

• New Forum Member
    • Ozark Mountain Lanyards
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 01:44:55 AM »
This is the reason I am looking into getting LLC license instead of being a sole proprietor. My understanding is that if something goes bad, you as an individual are somewhat protected under a LLC. The company suffers, not you. Don't take my word for it ( I have been known to be wrong on occasion  :whistling: ), but a government friend of mine explained it to me something like that. Good luck to you and I look forward to seeing some of your work!
Ozark Mountain Lanyards
http://ozarkmountainlanyards.com/

Offline Dead I

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 09:56:16 AM »

Thanks for all of the advice. I hate to be a glass half empty kind of guy, but sometimes a good offense is better than a good defense. 

I will post a few pictures ASAP. Thanks again.......

Travis

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 12:26:17 AM »
You can get break away latches from some of the fly fishing suppliers.  It has been about 7 or 8 years but I remember they were expensive.
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 10:56:47 PM »
I read this a couple of times and I'm on the fence.  If a guy purchases a lanyard and chokes on it....somehow.... I don't see where the maker is responsible?  If I sold a duck call and some knucklehead uses it improperly; i.e. sucks instead of blows, am I responsible if he damages his throat on the reed? Not sure on that one.  Yes, we live in a world now that you can leave nothing to chance, but....

I can think of 20 things right off the top of my head; that if used improperly, would/could cause grave danger.  Take a common neck tie.... I'm sure there are no warnings of choking hazards that come with them. Can anybody here see where a guy could get a tie "hung" or "caught" some way and get choked?  I think so! 

It certainly would NEVER hurt to place a disclaimer on a product to avoid legal ramifications.  A good offense is always better than a good defense. Just makes me think that I grew up 80 years too late.

Mutt
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline Kuipdog

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 04:01:32 AM »
You will sometimes see printed on packages that the users assumes all risks associated with the product. Now heres the question, what if they can't read?
Kuipdog