Author Topic: New call maker  (Read 10509 times)

Offline Dixie calls

• New Forum Member
New call maker
« on: February 01, 2019, 05:40:46 PM »
I’m a new call maker. Please help. I’ve made several calls out of wood and acrylic. I’m using the p2 jig from pintail waterfowl. Every time I put them together all I get is a squeak or a low quack only if I blow gently. I’ve read on here the hogs are just a starter jig. Some said they filed the tone board more of a slope at the end. Is that my problem or what. Any advice would be welcome

Offline s wuebber

• New Forum Member
Re: New call maker
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 08:49:57 PM »
Few questions, have you read Ryan’s tips on tuning? If I remember  correctly his public jig 2  is not recommended for those new to building duck calls.
 Do you know how to run a duck call?  If you aren’t a decent caller it’s gonna be impossible to build and tune a call.
 Are you expecting to build a few calls and get good results? Many of us have spent countless hours learning by failing. Be prepared to throw inserts away and try something different. If you’re a persistent person and work at it you’ll figure it out. Post some pics of what you’ve done and descriptions and folks here will help you along.
Cupped Wings!

Offline Dixie calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 09:36:30 AM »
I’ve not read what Ryan wrote I’ve watched his videos but haven’t read anything from him. I’ve been duck hunting for 7 years so I am a decent caller. I’ve got a shop full of wood working machines that came with the place when I bought it. Just decided that I was tired of paying so much for good calls but I’ve learned it’s not as easy I thought and been costly but I enjoy turning them. I’ve scrapped a lot of inserts but have got it on turning them down just having trouble getting the soundboard right

Offline LagrueCustomCalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 10:06:42 PM »
Good luck on your endeavor. The best information in the hobby/industry is here.

Btw, might need to look for a different name. Two prominent callmakers out there with variations of this. My family still makes the Dixie Mallard call, often called a Dixie.
There's a duck call in that block of wood. I just have to find it!