Author Topic: Jarrah Burl/Antler  (Read 4969 times)

Yotehntr

Re: Jarrah Burl/Antler
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 10:34:04 PM »
Thank you Repeat! It works on everything that I've tried it on, even Coco. I've even just used it to seal wood up for another finish. Al has a tutorial on it on here some where if you'll do a search. (that's where I started) I do it just a little different now but I think everyone modifies to their own liking. If I remember right he goes to med. and I stay with the thin and put at least 7 or 8 coats on. (Play it according to my eye) Sanding smooth and buffing with the beal system then polishing with MAAS (metal polish found at Walmart) for the gloss. One other trick is between coat a materials engineer told me that rubbing alcohol leaves the perfect residue for it. Dries quicker and holds better, so I sand...wipe it with the rubbing alcohol, and put another coat on. I don't sand between every coat, only when ridges form. Hope this helps, if you have any more questions feel free to ask or you can pm me. :bigup:

Offline Repeat

• New Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 04:56:46 PM »
Thank you for your input not sure what it is with the red cedar but just soaks the finish up the ca would seal it for sure with a lot less work in the long run I was thinking last night and wonder if you are any one else has tried to use the quick set epoxy's as a finish coat I make wing bone yelpers and do thread wraps and finish coat with the epoxy instead of regular finish coat so I don't have to turn by hand as finish dries. The epoxy sets much faster and gives a real glossy finish and it is hard when dried... may be I should post this question and see what happens  let me know what you think..
Thanks again for info..
Repeat..
Will Hunt For Food

Yotehntr

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 07:58:01 PM »
Can't help you on the epoxy's, never used them. I have made a red cedar lanyard keeper for a friend from the red cedar though. CA was no problem on it. I would try a post with the epoxy, I'm sure some folks have tried it and you should get some good input.

Offline Repeat

• New Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2009, 01:59:35 PM »
Thanks for all the input yotehntr
Will post it just kind of wondering gona try it on pice of wood just for the heck of it....
Repeat
Will Hunt For Food