Author Topic: help on lathe chuck  (Read 4636 times)

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
help on lathe chuck
« on: April 11, 2008, 09:46:19 PM »
I bought a cheap lathe and would like to get a chuck for it. I seen a sears chuck that said it was a 3/4  16 . Does anyone know if that would work on mine. I haven't got the lathe yet. I will be here next week. Maybe somebody here has a cheap chuck that would fit it for sale?
Thanks
John

the descrition of the lathe I bought.

Wood lathes turning capacity: 14" maximum diameter over bed. 40"
maximum between centers.

# Brand New in Retail Packaging

# 120 Volt

# Frequency - 60 Hz

# Maximum Length Of Cutting Feed - 40 inch (1000 mm)

# Max. Diameter - 14-1/4" (365 mm)

# Height Of Cutting Tool - 7" (178 mm)

# Motor Power - Single Phase 350 Watts

# Spindle speed - 4 speeds

# Turning Capacity - 356mm (14 inches) max diameter over bed. 1000mm
(40 inches) max between centers

# Pulley system - 4 speed V belt

# Spindle speeds - 1100, 1600, 2300, 3400 rpm

# Motor - 350W, 1400 rpm, AC 110V, 50/60 Hz

# Construction - Headstock, tailstock, foot, tool rest base and tool
rest of heavy cast iron. Bed is of heavy steel tubing.

# Headstock - The drive spindle is No. 1 Morse taper and is also
threaded ¾.16. The outboard end of the drive spindle can also be used
for large turning and is threaded ¾.16 left hand. The pulley system
and motor are mounted to the headstock.

# Tailstock - Slides along the full length of bed and clamps positively
at any distance from drive spindle. The ram has a hand wheel advance
of 2 3/8 inches with positive lock and is fitted with a No. 1 Morse
taper

# Overall measurements - 14.57" high, 9.45" wide, 59.05" long

This is all sears says about the chuck on their web site.

Fits 3/4 in. -16-tpi. threaded arbor. Threads onto Wood Lathe spindle. 4 independent reversible jaws for inside or outside holding of workpiece. 6-1/2 in. maximum inside hold; 5-3/8 in. outside hold.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 09:50:00 PM by John_NY »
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline Curmudgeon

• New Forum Member
    • Tail Gunner Duck Calls
Re: help on lathe chuck
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 10:02:11 PM »
Looks like it will work.
Both say they are 3/4 diameter by 16 threads per Inch.
June 2009 Call Makers Throwdown Winner !

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 10:05:20 PM »
ok, thanks. I guess the part that  was referred to as "outboard" kinda threw me. This will be my first lathe and I am excited to get it and try turning.

John
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Bonjour

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 12:46:39 AM »
John, when I first started to learn how to turn I started out with one similar to that. Independent jaw chuck was cheaper, but I soon found out why. They are hell to get something centered in it. I then bought the Oneway talon chuck or scroll chuck and it is amazing how much better and quicker my turning became. If I were you, I would wait and spend the extra money and get a good chuck and save a major headache in the longrun. You should be able to find the right adapter for it which can be switched out later if you buy a different lathe. Just my opinion on the subject.     Ryan

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 12:56:05 AM »
Thanks. That's why I'm here, to get opinions from people who have already done it.
John

JB Custom Calls

Offline Kuipdog

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 12:59:59 AM »
Try penn states industries, they have some cheaper chucks that are pretty damn good for the money. They will fit your lathe.

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 01:34:45 AM »
I'll check it. Thanks

JB Custom Calls

Offline Skegman

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 08:07:13 AM »
Hello John
             Check out the tutorial section  on THO game calls, believe me Al puts a lot of info out there it's helped me alot.

I first got a bo bo lathe off E bay  for 35 bucks and bought a chuck from a major wood working catalog it was a cheapy  and that saying  that goes  "You get what you pay for"   it's true.

First time I turned the lathe on   the chuck was so out of balance  the lathe almost fliped over.
I than E mailed AL  and he gave some real good pointers about chucks   I can't thank him enough.

With that info under my belt  I took a ride to PSI  Store   IN Philly  PA  and walked out with a Baracuda2  chuck  BEST INVESTMENT  i ever made   the chuck comes with 2 adaptors  for 3/4 16 thds and 1"8thds 4 sets of jaws T wrench  for the jaws  chuck wrench    and a few other parts  and also comes in a nice  plastic carrying case.

Also if you have any questions just here  there is a wealth of knowledge on this site  just ask, the guys here are great and will go out of thier way to help some one.

And the gentleman that runs this Fourm   AL from THO    all I can say is  WOW   one hell of a person .....

Ok enough of me yacking away ......... Alvin

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 05:28:18 PM »
Yep, I agree. Go with a better chuck. Further, if you have not much experince with a lathe, go to a Woodcraft store and sign up for a class. It may not teach you everything, but will give you a good start. You can also chech out the American Association of Woodturners to see if there is a local chapter. If so, you can find a mentor through them. And don't forgot to check out the Adult Classes given by most local colleges and some High Schools. Good luck, and we look forward to see some pictures of some the early turnings.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 09:17:26 PM »
Oh I have no problem with that. I'll show you my very first turn. I'm not shy. It might be in pieces though.   ;D  According to FedEx my lathe will be here Friday. My son builderone will be making be a mandrel and other things he thinks I need.  I still have to get a bench area in my shop built for it.
    When I show you my first turn feel free to laugh just don't spit soda or whatever on your computer. I can't be held accountable for that stuff.  :o

John

JB Custom Calls

Offline Kuipdog

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 10:07:11 PM »
I use a barracuda 2 lathe chuck and I find it to be a great buy for the money. Yeah there are big names out there, but for now this one is a good one for me. I would agree with skegman it is a great investment.  The price is a little hard to swallow for some of these chucks, but in the end it is well worth it!!!