Author Topic: im hooked on cedar  (Read 5053 times)

Offline riverat

• New Forum Member
im hooked on cedar
« on: April 05, 2009, 09:45:02 AM »
Second call finally made, it is made out of eastern red cedar that we have A great abundant of it around my homestead. Man this wood cuts like butter and there is hardly any grain to fill in and has a great marble effect in the wood.question to the real call makers out there is what finish would you use on this kind of wood? oil finish or coat it with poly? correct me if i am wrong but i believe red cedar is in the pine tree family and that said it should have some sort of sap in it when in the green stage?  
                                                                                             Riverat    

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 09:17:10 AM by riverat »

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
Re: im hooked on cedar
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 01:27:39 AM »
Nice looking call. After you asked about the finish that got me wondering and seeing how it is used for fence posts because of it's  rot resistance I would think you could use any finish you prefer on it.  I looked it up and it's actually a juniper tree.

( (juniperus virginiana)  Eastern Red cedar, Red Cedar, Eastern Juniper, Red Juniper, Pencil Cedar) is a species of juniper native to eastern North America, from southeastern Canada to the Gulf of Mexico, east of the Great Plains.)

But either way it sure is pretty wood. Now I gotta go turn some of mine.

John
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

alscalls

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 05:42:49 AM »
I have dried and turned a bunch of it and I have not had any sap trouble at all.....Though the wood is soft and prone to denting. I have tried both oil and poly but I would like to use something harder to protect it better I just do not know yet what that would be.

builderone

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 09:23:31 AM »
Nice looking calls. I like to use the marine varnish on them it seems to be stronger than regular poly.
Chad