Author Topic: Blackwood Crow Caller  (Read 4126 times)

Offline HITMAN Turkey Calls

• New Forum Member
Blackwood Crow Caller
« on: March 16, 2009, 10:18:56 PM »
Made this African Blackwood crow caller. Been working on it on and off for a few weeks. Put a ton of time into this one....Trying to slow down, and do a better job on my callers. Real satisfied with this one. The finish is smooth as glass, and I put some time into the stippling job, trying to get it just right....And this dude is loud and nasty too....It will definately be put into action on some crows when turkey season ends....

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
Re: Blackwood Crow Caller
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 10:40:29 PM »
That call came out very nice.  It does look like you put some time into it.

If I could make one suggestion, take a look at page 6 of this tutorial

http://www.thogamecalls.com/PDF%20Tutorials/Turning%20Crow%20Calls%20Latta%20Method.pdf

On a call as nice as the one you've posted, it seems a shame not to dress up the mouth piece just a bit.   Other than that, you made a beautiful call.

Al @ THO

Amerflyer48

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 11:35:24 PM »
Far in the pillared darkness,
Thrush music went--
Almost like a call to come in
To the dark and lament.
                                ~Robert Frost

beautiful words for a beautiful call,..   :bigup:

John

Offline HITMAN Turkey Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 12:03:23 AM »
Thanks for the advice Mr. Al....I sanded the mouthpiece with 600-1200 grit, and then went over it for a long time with synthetic steel wool, but it still came out looking pretty much like it had started....I'll pull the guts out tomorrow and do some sanding on it with a different grit and see if it works better. I was like you....I hated to put those guts into that pretty piece of wood....Would love to learn how to make my own wooden guts to try. That will be a project in the near future. I'm really trying to get over the hump and start turning out some really nice stuff. Thanks for the advice and compliments, guys.

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 07:44:14 AM »
After sanding the guts, a buffer really helps.  No matter though, the barrel of the that call is flawless and the design is top notch.  It's a beautiful call.   

Al @ THO