Author Topic: Micro mesh  (Read 8002 times)

Offline rwehuntn

• New Forum Member
Micro mesh
« on: January 20, 2008, 11:42:24 AM »
Hey guys,

I may have missed the boat, it has happened before. I bought one of the padded micro mesh sanding pad packs to try them out. I figured for 15 bucks if it didn't work well, I wasn't out much. Well let me tell you that stuff works great! I sanded as usual up to 400 grit and instead of wet sanding to 1200 grit and then buffing, I used the micro mesh. There are 9 sanding pads in the set that go to 12,000 grit. I was skeptical at first with the finer grit pads, as they feel like plain paper to the touch. Good thing they are color coded, or I might have been confused. I know there are no good, durable fast finishes, but this sanding system sure helps the final look of the piece. I turned a cocobolo lanyard keeper, and by the time I finished sanding it, it looked done. I put a couple of coats of oil on it and it looks unreal. I do not know how durable the pads are but at this point, I am sold on this stuff. I can't wait to try it on acrylic and see how it works for that. I will let you know.

rwehuntn

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: Micro mesh
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 11:48:39 AM »
Yep, I use the micromesh too. Great stuff. Word of warning though, use a light touch. If you get it hot, it melts. Not good. Keep a slow speed on the lathe, which you should do for sanding anyway, and a light touch. It will do the job just as quick as a heavy hand and eliminate the hot spots.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline rwehuntn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 11:52:13 AM »
Thanks Braz,

I do use the slowest speed for sanding. Do you use the pads or is there sheets of this stuff available? I would like to use sheets so I can use it on the inside of call barrels.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 12:17:35 PM »
Yep, there are sheets available too.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

blacky

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 10:24:50 AM »
I keep two sets of Micro-Mesh on hand at all times. One set I use for darker colored woods and the other for light colored woods. I have tried washing the stuff as directed but still have some discoloration in the lighter colored woods if I use the same set for both. Since I started doing this, I haven't had a problem.

I agree with everyone that Micro-Mesh is the way to go for a professional looking job.

Offline Homochitto Hollow

• New Forum Member
  • Most Wanted
    • Homochitto Hollow Woodworks
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 02:10:36 PM »
I do the same thing Blacky....two sets of micro mesh----one for light and one for dark
Bubba

Homochitto Hollow Woodworks

www.homochittohollow.com