Author Topic: Matthew Walker and his knot  (Read 4746 times)

Amerflyer48

Matthew Walker and his knot
« on: March 07, 2009, 09:59:54 PM »
Some of you might wonder about that "swirly knot" as my wife calls it well here is some back story....

Matthew Walker is supposed to have been either a Master Rigger in a Royal Navy dockyard or,a sailor who found himself in prison...who knows he might have been both,..and this is the only knot I know of to have a person named for it

Since being a rigger back in Nelson's day is rather boring I prefer the story here below....

A sailor, having been sentenced to death by a judge who in earlier life had been a sailor himself, was reprieved by the judge because of their common fellowship of the sea. The judge offered the sailor a full pardon if he could show him a knot that he, the judge, could neither tie nor untie. The sailor called for ten fathoms of rope (60 ft.) and, having retired to the privacy of his cell, unlaid the rope halfway, put in a MATTHEW WALKER KNOT, and then laid up the rope again to the end. So Matthew Walker secured his pardon, and the world gained an excellent knot.

In these lanyards I have tied a 4 strand 6 strand 8 strand and in "Snow Camo" a 12 strand. I have seen pictures of a 40+ strand but I won't be trying that anytime soon   :eek: :no:

8 strands with 4 being "walled off" after exiting the knot to the right the other 4 becoming drops for calls

6 strands then crown knotted and then tied reverse as a test piece.

12 strand  almost a golf ball size knot,.the largest I have ever attempted to tie..

Hope you enjoyed some history,

John

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
Re: Matthew Walker and his knot
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 03:17:21 PM »
That's a neat story. I actually had no idea there was even stories behind them. I just know I can't do it but it's fun to watch what you come up with.

John
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 06:34:51 AM »
OK, enough is enough LOL.   You guys are starting to kill me here  :eek:  My fingers and hands hurt just looking at the wonderful knots and work you are all doing!  Man, way back when, I thought I had hit the stars just being able to tie my own lanyards, and you guys are just blowing them away!   

Nice job by all of you.   Just fantastic workmanship and skill is going into your lanyards.   Keep it up, I know we all love seeing them!

AL @ THO

Offline schwert

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 04:46:35 PM »
I really like this termination...

I have never tied one of these though.  I will have to see if I can do one.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 04:48:10 PM by schwert »