Author Topic: Avoiding the goopy mess  (Read 3318 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Avoiding the goopy mess
« on: March 04, 2009, 11:21:16 PM »
Thanks to all of you for your encouragement and assistance in the last few days!

I had a problem tonight, and I'm a little discouraged.

I made my first call with clear (not blasted) glass, so you can see inside it really easily.  I made the inside of the call nice looking enough, sanded and finished it.  I applied a small amount of plumbers goop to the outer part of the calling surface and installed it.  The problem is that the goop seeps out toward the inside of the call and really looks like crud. 

How do you guys deal with this when using clear glass?  Or am I being too picky?  Personally I hate the look of it with the excess goop squeeze-out.  Maybe I'm using too much goop???  I neatly apply about a 1/16" bead using the head of a nail or a small piece of wood...Too much?  How do you all apply the goop?

On a positive note, the thing sounds great.   :wacko:

Offline Poor Valley

• New Forum Member
Re: Avoiding the goopy mess
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 01:10:53 AM »
Well, looks like you applied too much and didn't get it on evenly to me. I can describe how I do it but I think experience will turn out to be the best teacher.

I don't know what Goop you usebut I use Household Goop because the tube comes with a plastic nozzel. Clip that at an angle leaving the hole abt 1/8 in or a little less. Lay the call on a flat surface and turn it slowly as you apply goop with a slow steady squeeze of right hand. End by just touching the beginning of bead. Drop in the glass and twist it with your thumbs while applying a little pressure. Clamp or press for several hours.

When applying the goop it needs to be in the angle formed by the call wall and surface shelf.  Good luck.
Maker of Poor Valley Bench Made Turkey Calls. Field grade slate and glass calls with a world class sound.

Offline knightmare831

• New Forum Member
  • High Speed Wood Whittler
    • Outdoors Addiction Game Calls
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 07:41:51 AM »
I don't apply a bead of glue on mine.  I apply 4 - 5 dots of glue evenly along the shelf.  This helps with seepage and vibration.  You want your striker and sound board surfaces to have the least amount of contact with the pot but still have enough glue to hold them securely.  The less contact they make the better they vibrate.  This is just my method, it may work for you and then again it may not.  Give it a try and see what you think.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 07:43:49 AM by knightmare831 »

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 09:56:02 AM »
KC, I've had the exact thing happen to me.  I don't neccesarily care for the clear glass surfaces for that reason.  A store bought call that has a clear glass surface is glued by a machine... I can guarantee you that.  I've looked closely and there are even some small flaws in machine made calls as well.  The Goop is a good choice of glue but it doesn't seem to flow that well.  Try the blasted glass surfaces.... they hide glue mess ups and sound just as good.

Jeff

Mutt Game Calls
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 11:50:31 AM »
Try the blasted glass surfaces.... they hide glue mess ups and sound just as good

I'm thinking that you're right Jeff! 

XSTRESS1

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 11:54:45 PM »
 :pot: TRY INJECTING YOUR GOOP IN THE BACK OF A SYRINGE. THIS WILL GIVE YOU A PRECISION APPLICATOR WITH A THIN BEAD. GOOP WILL KEEP 3-5 DAYS PROVIDED YOU SEAL THE TIP. GOOD LUCK!