Author Topic: New lathe  (Read 17177 times)

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: New lathe
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 01:48:46 AM »
Parker,

As far as needing a motor, have you tried just replacing the brushes in the motor? A lot of the time, it is not the motor that goes bad, the brushes just wear out. Just a thought might save you some $$$$$

My lathe just plain QUIT on a dime one time this past summer.  Right in the middle of turning a call.  Is that a thing where the brushes could be bad?  I know NOTHING about working on something like that.  I've changed out the switch and the rheostat, and it was not either one of those.  Jet customer service told me its either the computer board or the motor and that I should find a place to have the motor tested......well......I live in the boonies!  Where do I take an electric motor to have it tested?

Parker 
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Homochitto Hollow

• New Forum Member
  • Most Wanted
    • Homochitto Hollow Woodworks
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 07:45:47 AM »
If you have an ohm meter and a little of AC/DC knowledge, you can test it yourself.  If not, check with some of your friends.  It is very simple.
Bubba

Homochitto Hollow Woodworks

www.homochittohollow.com

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 07:59:17 AM »
Vince,

Go to the tutorial section and under the Jet Mini Lathe section there is a link for the Jet service center.  You can input your zip code and they will tell you where a service center is in your area. 

AL @ THO

Offline rwehuntn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 08:48:39 PM »
The easiest way to test is un hook the wire to the motor,

turn the power on,

take the end you unhooked from the motor and...............

touch it to your tongue.

if you look like richard simmons when you get done there is power to the motor. :o :o :o :o :o :o

Just kidding, I don't want anyone to look like richard simmons.

Seriously, if you are not comfortable working with electricity, find someone that is and have them test for power coming out of the switch, to the motor. if there is power to the motor, either take it off and take it to a shop that repairs alternators, etc and have them check the motor to see if it is good, or just replace the motor.

Hope this helps,

rwehuntn

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 09:05:32 PM »
Got to tell you the sad news about that variable conversion kit I installed. The darned thing quit today. I had a bunch of orders that I've been humping to try and get out. I got them all turned and finished on the outside today, and was just finishing up on the bell end. Put one on the mandrel to sand it, turned on them motor, and nothing. NOTHING! Heck, I just installed it day before yesterday.  >:( I was not a happy camper. I fiddled with it, moving the switch, unplugged and replugged, checked the outlet for power, and nothing. So, tomorrow, it comes off and the old motor goes back on. Just want I wanted to do, another hour work on the darned motor. Oh well, at least I still have the other motor, and I know it will work. Will send an e-mail tonight and see what kind of response I get tomorrow on shipping it back.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline rwehuntn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2008, 09:27:42 PM »
Braz,

Try the email, but I have had better luck with the phone with psi. All the problems I have had with my orders in the past have been handled without question by them though, so I wish you the best. It sure is frustrating when new stuff breaks.