Author Topic: New lathe  (Read 17175 times)

Offline rwehuntn

• New Forum Member
New lathe
« on: January 20, 2008, 11:23:05 AM »
Hey guys,

Well, I finally broke down and upgraded to a new lathe. Until now, the lathe I use is a Turncrafter plus from PSI. If you are not familiar with this lathe, it is slightly smaller than the standard midi lathe, and uses the smaller mt-1 for head and tail stock. The model I have is the variable speed model, I think I paid about $150 for it. It has been a good lathe, so good in fact I bought two so Becky could turn as well. Well being a guy, I have wanted to upgrade to a larger lathe so I could take advantage of all the speciality tools made for the mt-2 spindle. Yesterday, I went to the local woodcraft store and bought the Jet mini. They are on sale until the end of the month and come with a 5 piece tool set and a mail in rebate. I turned my first piece on it last night (lanyard keeper) and boy what a difference! I am amazed at the difference between these two lathes. I may have to go get another before the sale is over. I will keep the other two turncrafter lathes, and would still tell a new turner to get one if they could not afford one of the bigger name lathes. Just thought I would share.

rwehuntn

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: New lathe
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 11:52:06 AM »
Congrats on the new purchase. Did you get the variable speed? I really wanted to buy the variable speed recently, but couldn't justify, to me, the cost. So, I purchased the conversion kit from PSI form my Delta midi and installed it day before yesterday. Today will be the first real day of turning, but did a bit the other day and love it. Gonna make it a lot easier to turn.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline rwehuntn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 11:54:32 AM »

No it is the standard model, but I am keeping my other two lathes and they are variable speed, so I can turn on the Jet and finish/sand on the other to utilize the variable speed for polishing etc.

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 01:02:07 PM »

So, you think I should head over and check out a new lathe?

That is a 6 year old Jet Mini lathe that has more hours on it than you could imagine.  The belt went the other day so I stripped it down and ordered a couple new belts, spindle and new bearings. 

I did squirt it down real good with some Simple Green before taking the picture.

This will be the second spindle and bearings this latte has had in the last 6 years.  Not bad for all the use and abuse it has gone through.

Al @ THO

Offline rwehuntn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 10:51:35 PM »
Nah, looks like you just got that one broke in  ;D

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 12:10:04 AM »
What kinda deal are we looking at on the Jet veriable?  I've got one I need to put a new motor in, so I'm wondering if it would just be cheaper to get a new one. 

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 12:11:17 AM »
Paying for the veriable speed is WELL worth it IMO.  I went from VS back to the belt because I was in an 'emergency' situation and delta midi's were on sale.  I'd never wish belt changing on anyone when the VS is there for purchase.

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 12:19:48 AM »
So, I purchased the conversion kit from PSI form my Delta midi and installed it day before yesterday.

Could you put up a link for this Braz?  I can't find it on their website.

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 12:38:03 AM »
Sure thing. Here it is. http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

I used it today pretty extensively and it is sweet. I don't think it has the power that the original motor has and when drilling on the lathe with a 5/8" and 3/4" drill, it was a bit on the tricky side. But other than that it works sweet. I love not having to swith the belt everytime I want to change speeds. I lived with the switch belt stuff for two years, and will never do it again. Variable speed is the way to go.

Now if I can find a use for that old motor. I think I am going to see if I can't find some way to make it into a buffer. I have the beale now, but a permanent one would be nice.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline rwehuntn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 10:48:02 AM »
Parker,

Check the tutorial section, Al put information on there on where to get parts. Here is a link to the conversion kit it runs about a $100 http://www.pennstateind.com/store/tclvskit.html As far as needing a motor, have you tried just replacing the brushes in the motor? A lot of the time, it is not the motor that goes bad, the brushes just wear out. Just a thought might save you some $$$$$

Braz,

I think the variable speed control limits the electricity going to the motor, kind of like a brown out, so if you notice a lack of tourqe from the motor that could be the reason.

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 11:38:17 AM »
Yep, I think you're right. I am not really happy about that part of it, but is something I can live with to have the variable speed. That is great.
Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 12:21:46 PM »
This has always been a concern with the Jet Variable Speed Lathes.  What you gain in not having to change belts, you loose in torque.

The reason is the position of the belts.  You might want to try changing the belt positions when you need to drill, if you can.  I have not looked inside a VS Jet lathe so I don't know if they still have the pullies, but from what I read, they did in the earlier models.  I don't know if Jet reccomends this or not, or if it will damage the motor or not?   When I call then tomorrow to order the new parts for this lathe, I will talk to Tech Support and see what they say. 

Al @ THO

Offline rwehuntn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 12:58:57 PM »
I looked at one of the vs models when I bought mine, that one did have different pulley positions. I would not think you wouold damage anything if you changed belt position, just the speed range allowed by the rheostat. I do not know what the aftermarket vs package does with the pulley that is on the old motor, if you reuse it or if the new motor comes with a new pulley.

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 01:24:41 PM »
On the change out on the Delta, I reused the old pully. And yes, you adjust the belt, thereby adjusting the range from low to high. I seem to have found the range I like. I like a pretty slow speed for sanding, and I like to turn pretty fast. And I seem to have found that. I also like to drill a a pretty slow speed, but with the bogging down, I may do some practice stuff at different speeds. It only takes a second to change the belt postion so I'll do some practice to determine where it works best.
Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 01:29:31 PM »
If you change the belt position, and that really slows down the lathe, you might even be able to do some metal turning on it  :)  Just light stuff, brass, aluminum.  I've turned some aluminum on my Jet, and it worked just fine.  Wish I could have slowed it down just a bit though.  Now, seeing as how this lathe is apart, I might just order one of those new motors and see how it works  :)

Al @ THO