Author Topic: schwert--mixed leather/paracord ideas  (Read 14936 times)

Offline schwert

• New Forum Member
Re: schwert--mixed leather/paracord ideas
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 09:06:41 PM »
Could be or are copyrights?

I was unable to discern that detail on the images on your site, and actually those loopout are somewhat different than my approach anyway.  I plan on bringing out a looped core strand.

But regardless, unless you somehow have a patent or copyright then I think this is circular discussion.

Offline schwert

• New Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 10:02:42 PM »
Well, Nathan feels his loops are copyrighted.  So be it.  I will figure out another way.

Offline swmohunter

• New Forum Member
    • Ozark Mountain Lanyards
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 12:18:09 AM »
I said my piece in a private message. I wish you the best! :bigup:
Ozark Mountain Lanyards
http://ozarkmountainlanyards.com/

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 12:58:55 AM »
I have seen the loops coming off of the main part of the lanyard for at least 30 years, maybe even longer than that.  I know very little on copyright law but I sure wouldn't be worrying about a copyright over a lanyard loop. 

By the way, nice work Schwert.
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 06:45:10 AM »
OK - time for me to jump in here.

First -  Thank You both for taking it to Personal Messages - that showed a lot of respect for this board and shows you are both stand up men.   :bow:

Now, for the copyright issue.   There is no such thing as a copyright on a lanyard.   None.  Period.   Please go to the US Patent and Copyright web site and read up on what a copyright actually is and you will see that I am correct.

Second - there ARE some patents on lanyards registered.   But nothing that you guys are doing comes close to them.  Again, you can research the US Patent office web site to find out.

Third - if you have an idea, and it is a unique idea - and you post it on the internet, your chances of ever getting a patent from it have vanished as once it is in the Public Domain, it cannot (normally) be patented.  Again, do some research at the US Patent office web site.

Fourth - if ANYONE was going to get sued for the lanyards violating someones patents it would have been me.   I was the first one to post a lanyard tutorial on the internet some 5 or 6 years ago.  Since then I have posted 3 different ones.  Two of them are on this web site.   ANd I aint heard nothing yet form any legal scholars about it (they probably know I have more guns than most third world countries and that I dont really care that much for lawyers)  but anyway -

If you get contacted by a lawyer who tells you that you have violated a patent, get it in writing, and then, take the needed action to resolve the problem.   Otherwise, no one owns the knots, and even if they do - until we hear otherwise, we aren't going to argue the point here. 

Remember, this is a friendly, sharing place.   Respect each other and the people who read these post.   

Once again, I want to thank you both for taking it to Personal Message - and I hope you got things worked out.   You are both big assets to this forum and the folks trying to learn different lanyard techniques.   Your knowledge is helping people you dont even know yet.   And in the end, that is what it is all about.

Thank You

Al @ THO

Offline schwert

• New Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 02:39:18 PM »
Thanks Al. I have thought of another idea anyway which should even be cleaner than a center strand loopout.

Offline swmohunter

• New Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 04:04:00 AM »
First off, I would like to apologize for any frustration I may have caused anyone. I have been doing some more research on copyrights as they may apply to lanyards. I have found that you can NOT have a copyright on a lanyard or any part added to a lanyard. The information I was using before was inaccurate and I should have done more research before claiming that I may have a copyright on a "system". Again, sorry for the heart ache. I only hope that others that believe that there lanyards are protected by copyright do a lot of research before you claim to have one.

schwert, I apologize for this ordeal. I should have looked at this as a compliment. I would like to think that great minds think alike. I think you do great work and I really do wish you the best, and I look forward to seeing your future work.

Nathan
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 02:36:17 PM by swmohunter »
Ozark Mountain Lanyards

Offline knightmare831

• New Forum Member
  • High Speed Wood Whittler
    • Outdoors Addiction Game Calls
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 08:20:03 AM »
Now that shows a stand up man right there to come on here and apologize for a misunderstanding.  That is great Nathan and it also shows one of the biggest reasons I love this forum and the people on it.  I applaud you sir.

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 03:19:20 PM »
Very well said, and nicely done.  You can share a beer at my campfire any day!

Thank You

Al @ THO

Amerflyer48

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2009, 10:14:37 PM »
I ever make it out Mo. way I'll buy you a beer and we will tie some knots...

Looking forward to more of your ideas and thoughts on lanyards in the coming months.. :bigup:

John

Offline swmohunter

• New Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2009, 11:23:50 AM »
Thanks for all the kind words. Just trying to do the right thing.

Oh, I do like me some barley pop!
Ozark Mountain Lanyards

Offline schwert

• New Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2009, 05:20:23 PM »
Well I got around to step one….braiding the call leash.

Simple 4-plait 1/8” Kangaroo that I bring back upon itself to form the call noose. 

On complete wrap around the standing part of the braid terminated with a crown and wall.  This made a solid and tight noose.

This leash can then be girth hitched to a braided eye loop like I have done with an old adjustable neck lanyard.

I still have to braid the leather drops and get them incorporated in a paracord lanyard, but one step at a time eh?

Offline swmohunter

• New Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2009, 10:28:15 AM »
That looks great! :bigup:
Ozark Mountain Lanyards