Author Topic: schwert--mixed leather/paracord ideas  (Read 14975 times)

Amerflyer48

schwert--mixed leather/paracord ideas
« on: February 22, 2009, 07:41:13 PM »
Was thinking about your post schwert,..

Maybe para-cord the neck banding down to where they join ( in your post the 6-plait diamond braid ) then bring them together and cover them with the Kangaroo leaving 4 to drop out the bottom for your call loops

For added flair, and I'm not sure how this would work in leather but here it goes... make your drop loops and seize them with leather instead of the typical hang mans noose to attatch your call bridles also made of leather

John

Offline schwert

• New Forum Member
Re: schwert--mixed leather/paracord ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 04:41:39 PM »
I am still muddling the design around...

I am going to do a call stopper to body 4-plait braids...each end having a crown and wall slip knot to grab the call.  I think these will be about 6-8" long.

I am thinking of just looping out paracord on the main lanyard instead of drops.  Then making a leather loop-ended lead (loop on each end of that lead) that would girth hitch to that paracord loop, and then drop to the call leash.  This would girth hitch to the call leash...and allow easy adjustment of angle for the call to hang.

I may make this a single loop ended lead though to allow adjustment of the drop length...then a girth hitch and siezed for security would work fine.

I was thinking of a paracord cobra knot over 4 core for the neck, and looping out high for the whistles, dropping to cobra over 3, the looping out lower for the main side call drops, leaving cobra over 1 and then maybe terminating  like I  did before with 6-plait diamond.  But this time covering that paracord with a kangaroo cowboy knot.  Then bringing out two 4-plait kangaroo stands as a single call drop.

So the main lanyard is pretty clean with no hanging paracord drops at all.  Every call is on a single drop from the main lanyard, but both stopper and body are secured on a short leather lead. 

I am going to try a do the call leash first and see how that feels and how secure it may be.

Once I have that worked out then setting up the lanyard should be fun.

Offline schwert

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 04:50:59 PM »
I must say typing out a braid plan is not too easy.  I just reread that and even though I know what I want to do I am not sure that explains it :whistling:

I may draw a picture.....or just braid it.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 06:36:07 PM »
Man, you guys may as well be speaking Latin. I have no idea what you are talking about.  :rofl:  The only thing I know is the end result will look great!  :bigup:
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Amerflyer48

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 07:48:12 PM »
Cowboy knot as in a Gaucho knot ?

I like the idea of clean lines

maybe when wife graduates I can talk her into a program for lanyard designs and colors to make it easier for us...

John

P.S.  can't wait to see this "hybrid"

Offline schwert

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 08:07:03 PM »
Yeah likely a Gaucho knot....

Here is a quick and dirty sketch of what I am thinking and tried to type out.....

Offline swmohunter

• New Forum Member
    • Ozark Mountain Lanyards
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 01:28:50 PM »
Looks similar to the ones I sell. Except using leather for the drops. You can check them out on my website http://ozarkmountainlanyards.com/oml021909_002.htm

Ozark Mountain Lanyards
http://ozarkmountainlanyards.com/

Offline schwert

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 04:24:06 PM »
Similar...

Well bog standard macramé knots are pretty universal so at that point the similarity ends.  I don’t think you need worry about my pattern.  I have no intention of selling my work. 

Amerflyer48

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 01:52:56 PM »
Looking forward to the jump from paper to reality,..looks like a great design any particular colors for the paracord in mind ??

John

Offline swmohunter

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 02:13:39 PM »
Similar...

Well bog standard macramé knots are pretty universal so at that point the similarity ends.  I don’t think you need worry about my pattern.  I have no intention of selling my work. 

It looks to me that the basic design is similar. The loops to which you will attach your drops, in particular.  :winkiss:
Ozark Mountain Lanyards

Offline schwert

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 04:42:36 PM »
Honestly SWMohunter I see you using D-rings and clips...but no where do I see paracord loops out of your lanyards.  I do know I have seen such drop attachments somewhere, but unless you have other images I don't see any borrowing of that idea from you.

As to color...I am still thinking.  If I could find dark tan cord with green that might blend better with the tan kangaroo.

Amerflyer48

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 03:35:28 PM »
I use :

desert tan
coyote brown
black
foliage (greenish gray)
OD green
white

the coyote brown would almost match your Kangaroo I think the desert is really light,.. I have a Coyote brown black and foliage combo I like but I would think your kangaroo would replace the coyote brown so you might try a black,foliage or a foliage,desert combo with the Kangaroo as the third color

And I can guarantee any variation on a lanyard design we here come up with was around a Bo'suns neck long before the first call was turned...

We are not reinventing the wheel we are just changing tread patterns ~technician @ Continental Tire Company

Offline schwert

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 04:25:30 PM »
The coyote brown might be the one.  I need to order up some new cord.

Totally agree on the tire tread idea....

The even remote thought that a lanyard pattern is somehow owned by an individual is quite amusing.  If that was true, the credit would have to go to every Sailor and Girl Scout over the past couple of centuries.

Offline swmohunter

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 05:57:01 PM »
Your not refering to these pics are you?
 :whistling:

Ozark Mountain Lanyards

Offline swmohunter

• New Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 06:05:52 PM »
The even remote thought that a lanyard pattern is somehow owned by an individual is quite amusing.  If that was true, the credit would have to go to every Sailor and Girl Scout over the past couple of centuries.

I have no intentions of claiming to own a lanyard pattern! I am just stating that there could be copyrights on significant design modifications on the lanyard in question.

Happy Macrame'ing
Nathan
Ozark Mountain Lanyards