Author Topic: My first calls and strikers  (Read 3742 times)

wrangler2

My first calls and strikers
« on: February 21, 2009, 01:40:49 AM »
Well I finally got around to taking pics of my first calls.  Braz told me I needed to put some pics out here when I got some calls finished.  I have never used photobucket before and I just followed the tutorial.  Had to click copy though, wouldn't do it on it own. If doesn't work will try again later.   My photography isn't the greatest, but as with the calls I will continue to work on that also.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  I am pretty thick skinned and take criticism well.  If they suck tell me why.  Please just don't say...."You ever consider taking up a new hobby?"  LOL 
thanks.

Mike

wrangler2

Re: My first calls and strikers
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 01:42:27 AM »
Forgot to say these are spalted pecan/honey locust and cocobolo.  Had a lot of firsts here.. including the turquoise inlace used in two of the honey locust strikers.

mike

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 01:50:08 AM »
I've never made a turkey call but they look nice. i like the strikers. In the picture of the call with the turkey picture in it, is that glare on the picture?

John
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 06:19:47 AM »
Wrangler, those calls look fantastic.  Keep up the great work.  Where did you get the turquoise inly for the strikers.  That looks tough as heck!  :bigup:

Jeff

Mutt Game Calls
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Big Trestle

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 08:00:17 AM »
Very nice looking calls :bigup:

Tim

callmaker60

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 08:12:19 AM »
Strikers and calls look good,
picture quality on first and third picture could be better, use a tripod if you have one, check  your setting on the camera, use macro if you have it, it gives good clear pictures closeup, and if possible make a photo tent...other wise good job...

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 11:25:35 AM »
I think you did a GREAT job on these calls and strikers. Don't feel to bad about the pictures, they give me a bad time too. Good thing the digital holds about 200 pics....Lol Did you find any areas that were more difficult for you to do? The shape of the calls is great too. Nothing harder to do than to hold a turkey call ith a slick finish and a pair of smooth gloves. The little decorative ridges and coves help alot with that. AGAIN, you did a GREAT job with these calls, keep  it up. :bigup: :bigup:
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008
heirloomgamecalls@yahoo.com

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 12:03:53 PM »
The calls & strikers both look very nice. It's hard to tell exactly but you appear to pay close attention to the details like sanding. I could be wrong but I think you conditioned the glass on the top call in the shape of a turkey fan & you did it out by the edge to keep from blurring the picture. Do you think the sound changes any out there VS in the center?? I've only used slate calls. My picture taking was pretty bad when I started. But it has gotten muuuuch better since my Wife started taking them for me. I like your backgrounds too. They serve their purpose well without making the eye go to them instead of your calls. tripods are great to have around for your pictures. wally world sells a small table top version for around $14 if I remember correctly.  :bigup:
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

wrangler2

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 01:11:33 AM »
Thanks guys for all of the compliments.  It made me go out to the shop, finish painting to game heads I had to get out the door and start turning another pot.  This one is Walnut with a turquoise inlay around the rim.  It is setting up tonight and I will finish in morning.

Jeff I use inlace.  It is an artificial turquoise, but actually looks better than the real thing.  You can buy in from www.inlacebook.com  it comes in several different colors or you can create your own.  Seems expensive but you use very little and it is so fine it can be used for very small areas.  (turkey feet carved into the side of a call)  Just put the epoxy in a small cup (I always take extra ketchup cups from fast food restaurants) add a few drops of catalyst, mix and spread in the area you want to fill.  Only needs to be about 1/16 of an inch deep.  Let dry and sand smooth.  Go slow so it doesn't get hot and pull out of the groove.  that is it.

Thanks again guys.
Mike

Offline West Augusta

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 06:50:41 AM »
Love that spalted wood.
Keep going.  You got a great start.

blacky

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 09:33:28 AM »
My first ones didn't look nearly that good. You did an excellent job.

Offline Gobbleking57

• New Forum Member
  • Gobbleking Custom Calls & Strikers
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 10:14:41 PM »
I think they look great.  :rockon:
When you see red, pump the lead !!!!!!

Offline huey

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 06:55:00 AM »

Great looking calls, :bigup: Sure like the spalted wood and inlay. I cant show my first pots, firewood..... :down1:
                                       Huey
Old river runner   Ouachita River Game Calls