Author Topic: Parker  (Read 20158 times)

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: Parker
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 11:31:38 PM »
First of all. welcome to the site. We are slowing growing and getting a lot of good people. With posts like this you are going to fit in real well. Great post and something for all of us to try. Sure would like to see a picture of some of your strikers.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Poor Valley

• New Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2008, 12:26:46 AM »
Well I screwed up in my previous post. The 3/4 in gouge is square across the end so it must be a small roughing gouge rather than a spindle gouge. Also what I called a scraper is actually a skew I believe.
Maker of Poor Valley Bench Made Turkey Calls. Field grade slate and glass calls with a world class sound.

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2008, 08:56:07 AM »
 ;)  Poor Valley KNOWS his turkey calls!   ;D

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

blacky

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2008, 10:52:59 PM »
I took the advice of a friend and purchased a Barracuda2 Chuck System from PennState and my striker turning has improved greatly. I also have found out about the skew. I have turned several strikers with the chuck and the only one I broke was a spalted hickory piece of wood that appeared to be rotten on the inside so  broke it myself. LOL

I set up a booth last weekend during a 3 day Hunting/Fishing Show and did well and that is how I could afford the Barracuda2.

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2008, 01:02:45 AM »
Sounds like a good fix.  If you get a chace, can you post a picture of it in action?

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline rwehuntn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2008, 11:28:21 PM »
Hey guys,

Been reading this post and doing some research. I have a book my mother in law gave me by a guy named Dale Nish called creative woodturning. In it, he talks about a shearing cut versus a scraping cut. This thread got me to thinking about it and I decided to research it further. I don't turn strikers or even pot calls for that matter, but I can see the problems with turning a long, thin piece of wood. According to Nish, this shearing cut is how professional turners use a skew to cut spindles (he says they use a gouge this way as well, have not tried it yet) Basically, to do this I turned my stock round, and held the skew on the tool rest, cutting edge perpindicular to the wood, with the tip of the skew above the stock. The skew held at an angle it would not cut, then I change the angle of the skew until it started cutting. This produces shavings, kind of like what comes out of a planer. The depth of cut is controlled by the angle of the skew. The sharper the angle, the deeper the cut. I tested this out on a few different types of wood, and it works well on maple. On Bocote and tulipwood, I found I had to take lighter cuts or the wood chips out. I also figured out to keep the skew ancored on the toolrest befor trying to start the cut (duh) This method requres a lot less pressure aginst the wood than scraping the wood, and makes a much cleaner cut than scaping. I also got no chatter doing this. This should be the ticket for turning thin, long pieces as there is virtually no force applied against the wood. Does this make sense? If not, I will take pics and put together a tutorial on it, may take a bit as I am real busy right now.

Hope this helps,

rwehuntn

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008, 12:55:04 AM »
Hmmmm......I THINK I know what you're saying, but I sure would like to see pics!  This may be the ticket to explaining why I get chatter when I do.  Cause I hold the chisel at too much of a downward angle, right?

Cool stuff!

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls

blacky

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2008, 09:23:30 AM »
rwehuntin, drop everything and make that tutorial. We need some help.   ;D ;D ;D

Just kidding my friend. I posted a link to some Youtube videos that I learned a lot about how to use the skew. It has good features on the use and how to sharpen.

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2008, 11:29:51 PM »
Learning the skew was the best thing I've done on the lathe. rwehuntn gave very good advice. I also like the lathe cranked up when I turn. One of the added benefits of learning the skew is that it's possible to start sanding at 320grit. Even on highly figured maple. HTH

RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2008, 11:32:20 PM »
Sharp looking pen.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2008, 11:34:20 PM »
Thanks Marvin.  ;D

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2008, 12:14:36 AM »
Yep, I agree, you make nice looking pens, so where are the calls?
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2008, 09:02:29 AM »
 ;D  Thanks Braz!! I left the call making to the real call makers. These guys know what they're doing & I just dabble with it.  8)

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline Troy of Run -N- Gun Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2008, 09:26:29 AM »
Very nice hamer,Do they make the insert for pencil.Or do they just make pen inserts.

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2008, 10:43:33 AM »
I make pencils too.

Sorry the thread got hijacked Parker/blacky!! The other thing I've found was the Abralon sanding pads I mentioned in another post. They use very light pressure & would probably be a good resource for sanding the thin strikers. They are foam pads that are washable & very soft & pliable. Seems they would work well for this.

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11