Author Topic: Cocobolo barrels splitting on the lathe  (Read 15672 times)

Offline Greybeard

• New Forum Member
Cocobolo barrels splitting on the lathe
« on: January 11, 2020, 04:02:02 PM »
So, went out to turn some barrels this morning.   Cut up a piece of cocobolo center punched them and drilled the holes.  Turned them round and sped up the lathe. As I worked the mouth end into shape, both of the first two split all the way through about a half an inch from the mouth piece end.  Wood is solid with zero checks or cracks in it and was dry. Two different grain areas from the same piece.  I can’t figure out why they split. Was I turning too thin?  Still had 1/4 inch from the bore. I was using a new carbide cutter finishing tool both times it happened.  I had created a cove and was flaring the tip into shape when it happened.  I don’t think I was cutting too much because I was lightly finishing that area to move on to the band...  Any thoughts or ideas?

ben

Re: Cocobolo barrels splitting on the lathe
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 05:09:28 PM »
If you were trying to cut directly into the end grain that is what happens. After you part off the end grain just finish the lip rest with sandpaper.

If that is not it the only other thing I can think of is too tight on the mandrel.

ben

Offline Greybeard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 05:38:19 PM »
I was thinking it could be the combination of a tight mandrel and tooling the end or near the end.

On a slightly different note, what speed do you guys turn barrels?  I was turning about 1600 rpm.

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 07:38:33 PM »
Yes, too tight on the mandrel. Spectra ply and Hedge are also bad to crack with a too tight mandrel.  I usually run about 2200 rpm to turn barrels.

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline Greybeard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 09:37:21 PM »
Thank you guys very much!

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 03:24:59 PM »
Run a reamer through the hole after you drill it. Sometimes the drill bits aren’t exact, or the wood shrinks after drilling. I drill my holes, then wait a couple days, then ream the holes and put them on the mandrel to turn.
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Greybeard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 08:53:45 AM »
 :thanks: