Author Topic: Reed Punch for metal reed calls  (Read 7584 times)

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
Reed Punch for metal reed calls
« on: November 16, 2019, 03:51:38 PM »
As an FYI for you guys that use my Reelfoot tutorial and would like to have a reed punch for my reed design contact Wade at Webfoot calls. I understand that he is considering making a few more reed punches if enough interest is shown.

http://www.webfootcustomcalls.com/

Wade made my original reed punch and it works very well. I like his punch design and it will be easy to re-sharpen if it ever needs it. Nice design and the usual Wade craftsmanship/quality we have come to expect.

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
Re: Reed Punch for metal reed calls
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 05:33:53 PM »
Fred, is this for a reed punch or for a toneboard jig?  I heard he was doing a batch of jigs, but not reed punches.
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

ben

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 07:49:55 AM »
Any idea on cost.

ben

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 07:00:26 PM »
Fred, is this for a reed punch or for a toneboard jig?  I heard he was doing a batch of jigs, but not reed punches.
Brian: my understanding, in talking with Wade, is that he will consider doing a small run of reed punches if there is enough interest. Ben, contact Wade for a cost estimate. I'm pretty sure that the final cost will depend on the number of punches in the run. Wade made a very good punch for me that has held up very well. The design also allows for easy sharpening if/when the punch gets dull.
If you know anyone that wants a punch help spread the word. I believe that we would see a lot more Reelfoot style calls made if a good reed punch were available. I gave Wade my permission to use my reed design for the punch run so that the reed produced would work with my tutorial published here on THO. Wade's Reelfoot tone board jig also works with my tutorial.

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 08:57:33 PM »
Any idea on cost.

ben

Benny, probably going to be north of $1000

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 02:51:38 PM »
I am making a punch for a customer (with permission from Fred).  I had emailed him to let him know about it and see if he needed anything or knew of anyone needing one while I was at it.  I was hoping that if there was another person or two interested, I could surprise my customer with that and the better price - since heat treat is a notable chunk of the cost since its just a one off.  But Im guessing he knows Im sort of looking now :P  All in good fun!  I may still have another surprise for them, we'll have to see...

No way to know what the end cost will be without knowing how many Im making (and if its more than one more - as I ordered a second set of blanks in case I screw up one, Id have to add to the material order I already made - but can be done)

If its just one punch, north of $1000 is quite possible.  Heat treat for one punch is likely going to be 275.00 - but that is assuming they can heat treat the  die plates and the punch plate all in the same batch.  But if the thicknesses are too great between the two parts of the punch, they may have to do two batches, one for the die plates and one for the punch material.  So there is a chance that heat treat could be over 500 just for one punch - but Im optimistic that they can do the die plates and the punch blank in one batch.  Now, add 1 punch, and that cuts the heat treat in half for the two punches.  Add a third, and its cut in thirds etc...  the ole economy of scale at play.  Add in being able to prep more blanks for the punch at one time, prior to heat treat, and post heat treat prep, and then being able to wire out more than one of the same thing, and that helps bring costs down as well.

That all said...  figure at least $1000, so then when it gets calculated out - worst case - its what you planned on...  and best case, its cheaper.  Err on the side of caution to reduce the unpleasant surprises and all that jazz.

Email me via the online store if you have questions or want to get a deposit in on one.

And Thanks Fred!!! for allowing folks to use your designs for the reeds and the jigs!

Wade
www.webfootcustomcalls.com
Call Making Tools, Parts, Services... and calls when I have time :D