Author Topic: 4 jaw chuck uses?  (Read 5127 times)

Offline Don@srdc

• New Forum Member
  • Smokey river duck calls
4 jaw chuck uses?
« on: October 11, 2019, 12:21:18 AM »
Any real reason to keep it around? Been using it to try to build inserts, but was thinking a spur may work better? Where does a 4 jaw come into use? Thanks.

ben

Re: 4 jaw chuck uses?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 11:16:36 AM »
I would not be in a hurry to get rid of it as it can be used to hold blanks for drilling if you drill with your lathe. I like to turn stoppers between center get to the correct size and then chuck in a collet chuck to drill the hole in the stopper and finish. Would be good money invested to get a collet chuck if you do not have one. I use a psi as most on here does, that kit has different sizes it also.  Collet chuck can also hold the mandrel to turn the barrel.

ben

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 08:37:26 PM »
For duck calls, like Ben I only us my 4 jaw for drilling a barrel but if you ever intend to make a turkey pot call the 4 jaw is the way to go.
For duck call inserts the collet chuck is the way to go. PSI makes a good collet chuck set.

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline Don@srdc

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 11:47:15 PM »
Ive got a 5/8" collet chuck for my barrells and whatnot, jist not sure how to turn a insert down to 5/8 " without my 4 jaw right now. Could a guy use a spur?

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 08:59:38 PM »
I turn my inserts between a live center in the tailstock and a headstock drive center in the headstock. Use the headstock drive center to drive the big end of the insert and turn the 5/8 portion toward the live center in the tailstock. Once you have the 5/8 portion turned to size just remove the headstock drive center and install your collet chuck with a 5/8 collet. place the 5/8 end of your insert in the collet chuck and drill your tone channel and form your exhaust. Here is a link to the headstock drive I use.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCENTSS21.html

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline Don@srdc

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 02:05:05 AM »
 Thanks guys, appreciate the help!