Author Topic: Gluing Bands to Acrylic Barrels?  (Read 3669 times)

Offline MadTrapper

• New Forum Member
Gluing Bands to Acrylic Barrels?
« on: September 30, 2019, 03:48:59 PM »
First let me express my complete sadness at seeing what has become of what was once the greatest source of information for call makers; Tho's Board.  I learned a lot from this board over the many years that I've been visiting it.   Very sad to see it gets so little use anymore...

I've been turning a few wooden calls for many years.  I use 2 part epoxy and brass pins to fasten my bands.  I'm considering trying acrylic and am wondering about securing metal bands to it.  What should I be using/doing? 

Any insight or direction is very much appreciated.  Thank you.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it". - George Bernard Shaw

ben

Re: Gluing Bands to Acrylic Barrels?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 07:43:45 PM »
I have not done a lot of acrylic calls but the ones that I did I made the call 3 ths. or larger than the ID of the band pressed them on and as far as I know never had a problem. You will have to ream the bore back to 5/8 as it will shrink a little.

That is basically the way the big guys do.

ben
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 05:05:32 PM by ben »

Offline MadTrapper

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 08:25:09 PM »
Thank you Ben!  That's good information.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it". - George Bernard Shaw

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 11:14:38 PM »
Wood expands and shrinks a lot with moisture, where the band doesn’t.  That movement will likely fail that glue joint over time. That’s why guys pin the bands on a wooden barrel. Acrylic doesn’t move as much as wood, thus why you don’t really need to pin the bands on acrylic barrels.
Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline MadTrapper

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 11:19:49 PM »
Thanks BigB.  Makes sense.

So where have all the call makers gone that use to be here?  I'm told Facebook.  Is that still the case?  (I don't do Facebook and don't intend to.)

Thanks.