Author Topic: Inlay epoxy ?  (Read 3293 times)

Offline Curmudgeon

• New Forum Member
    • Tail Gunner Duck Calls
Inlay epoxy ?
« on: February 12, 2009, 02:41:21 PM »
I have some really figured Mesquite, but it has inclusions and other defects as well. It's solid enough to turn, but I would like to fill the voids and inclusions with some sort of turquoise filler material. I have looked all over the hobby stores and don't see any single material, or even any filler type material to be mixed with epoxy. Other than rub and buff, what are the options. Thanks in advance for any/all feedback !
June 2009 Call Makers Throwdown Winner !

Offline Kuipdog

• New Forum Member
Re: Inlay epoxy ?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 04:16:22 PM »
Inlace. Look at Packards or Woodtunerscatalog.com, This should have what you are looking for.
Kuipdog

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 04:48:23 PM »
See if you can find Gilmer Rock Shop, they have powdered turquoise and a bunch of other fillers you can mix with epoxy.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Bonjour

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 05:45:56 PM »
What I do works real easy. If you can get a hold of a few turqouise stones or let me know and I might be able to send you a few. I crush them up in a homemade steel pipe welded on a plate. This gives you different sizes from powder to chips. I start by gluing in a few bigger chunks with ca glue and then fill it with smaller chunks and powder. Make sure it is above the surface and then sand it down. I sand it down to the surface and then turn on the lathe and sand. I'll see if I can find some pics later.         Ryan

Bonjour

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 05:47:54 PM »
forgot to mention that I also add some filings that you can get for free from the local hardware store where they make copies of keys. This gives it a little shimmer also.       Ryan

Bucko

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 06:27:19 PM »

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 06:55:44 PM »
Here is that link to Gilmer Rock Shop  http://www.gilmerrockshop.com/servlet/StoreFront  They have all kinds of crushed rock so you can come up with kinds of variations.  I like it better than Inlace, it is harder to work but for the cheaper cost makes up the difference.

Marvin

wrangler2

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 06:42:29 PM »
Gilmer had nice turquoise but it is very hard to sand and is hell on tools.  I use an artificial turquoise that comes in a kit and actually is smoother and when finished you can't tell the difference.  It comes in an epoxy form with a catalyst.  A teaspoon of it with 5 drops hardener and let it sit then sand.  it is beautiful when done and comes in about 10 different colors.  Web site it www.inlacebook.com  The cost is 24.00 for the kit but well worth the money.
Hope this helps.  I assure you, you won't be disappointed.

Mike

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 11:29:09 PM »
I've used alot of the Inlace turquois. The kit goes a long ways. It will do something like 80 ft of 1/8 inch x 1/8 inch inlay. Here is a picture of a trumpet call I made with it.

The end of the trumpet is solid inlace. It holds up ell enough to be self supporting in this type of use.  :bigup:
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008
heirloomgamecalls@yahoo.com

Offline Curmudgeon

• New Forum Member
    • Tail Gunner Duck Calls
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 09:46:26 PM »
Thanks guys, I had no idea it was called inlace. I'll go back to the hobby store and ask to see what they have. I'm sure I never saw any in the glue/epoxy section.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 10:14:57 PM »
You better check at Woodcraft or Rocklers, I doubt if you will find it at Hobby lobby or Michael's.  It is really a woodturners "thing", I have seen some wood carvers use it but not anyone else.

Marvin

Offline Curmudgeon

• New Forum Member
    • Tail Gunner Duck Calls
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 07:37:28 PM »
Got it, thanks Marvin,