Author Topic: Newbie with alot to learn!  (Read 4964 times)

Offline T. Stauffer

• New Forum Member
Newbie with alot to learn!
« on: September 10, 2019, 11:12:58 AM »
Hello all! I noticed a lot of new guys putting up posts and introducing themselves so I figured I might as well do the same.

I am brand new to turning duck calls. Heck I am brand new to turning anything. I have been scanning this forum for some time now to create a list of needs to dive in on this new adventure. Below is a list of things I have purchased. Let me know if there is anything further I need to get started.

Although I am new to turning, I am not new to woodworking. I have some broad experience in working with wood to include hand carving and painting duck decoys. I can't wait to start doing calls as well!

WEN 3420T Wood Lathe
Woodmaster Gamecall Mandrel 5/8"
PSI Collet Chucks
PSI Drill Chuck
WEN 4 - Jaw self centering chuck
Forstner Drill bit set
reeds, cork, bands and band pins from Echo calls

I will be practicing first on some cheap woods, then moving to nicer hard woods and then eventually acrylic when I am ready.

Any input is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
Re: Newbie with alot to learn!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 02:03:28 PM »
Welcome to the forum!
I reviewed your list and assume you also have the turning tools to go with the lathe. You don't need a lot of tools to make calls. A spindle gouge, a skew and round nose scraper will get you started. You also need to be able to sharpening the tools correctly!
A toneboard jig will also save you a lot of time. Webfoot Custom Calls and Pintail both are members here and sell high quality jigs and other tools.

Again welcome to the forum!

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline T. Stauffer

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 02:13:11 PM »
Thanks Fred! I do have some vintage tools that I am going to check once I am home. I may purchase a new tool kit as well depending on what I have.

I looked in to Webfoots jigs and considered buying a flat jig. I want to be able to call every part of these calls mine (true custom) so I want to take the time and learn to create tone boards with a sound I like (I'm not new to duck hunting or calling). I am considering building my own flatjig out of hard wood. I've seen others do it and it doesn't look difficult to make them

Thanks for the response!

Offline FDR

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 09:05:59 PM »
Flat jig is a great start. You might try here for an inexpensive starter jig. If you are careful you can make a few flat blanks. I like maple for a practice wood. Unless you just want to turn square blanks to round start with a dowel for your practice tone boards. Saves lots of time!
http://www.biblebeltoutdoors.com/category-s/2085.htm

Fred
Fred Roe

Offline T. Stauffer

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 09:13:47 AM »
Thanks for the info! I went ahead and bought a flat jig from webfoot. I am actually going to purchase some maple planks this week that I found for a heck of a deal. Figured they would be great starters. I read about the 5/8" dowel rods and will probably be getting some of them as well to practice.

Thanks for the input!

T

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 07:37:39 AM »
T, one thing I see in your starter list that you may want to check into. Your forstner bit set. They may bore an over sized hole and it will take much longer to drill than a jobber type of bit. Get a good quality 5/8'' and 1/4'' jobber bit for duck calls.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline T. Stauffer

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 03:04:16 PM »
I have an assortment of drill bits but did not have forstner bits. I am pretty sure I have 5/8" and 1/4" jobber bits. Thanks for the heads up though!

Offline FDR

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 07:00:10 PM »
The other thing that is missing is a 5/8 machine reamer. I use the reamer to ream the hole I drill in the barrel especially after the wood has set for a few days. Almost always needs to be reamed before it will fit on the mandrel easily.
MSC has good quality drills and reamers. Check that you drill chuck will take a 5/8 bit. If not look for a reduced shank 5/8 drill. MSC has those also.

Fred
Fred Roe

Offline T. Stauffer

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 08:23:52 AM »
Yeah I realized that after I drilled my first hole... That'll be my next purchase! Thanks!