Author Topic: Rookie call maker looking for advice  (Read 8647 times)

Offline Jason Bowlin

• New Forum Member
Rookie call maker looking for advice
« on: April 29, 2019, 01:39:59 PM »
Hello Folks, new to the world of turkey call making. Ive read a lot of info here and learned a lot in the short time ive been browsing this site. I have made a few pot calls in the last few days on my 13x40 high precision gunsmith lathe and needless to say its a little slow, add to that my OCD for .0001 tolerances that i normally strive for and its been a night mare  :wacko: So im looking for a wood lathe and proper wood tooling. I currently thread a hole in the center of the blank, mount it on a 3/8-16 spud that i made,true it up, cut the inside and then turn it around chuck it inside and finish back and do final sanding. Id like to do similar to same process on a wood lathe at a much faster pace.
 Now for my question..I like the looks of the Nova Comet II with the G3 chuck...can I achieve that with this lathe? I know theres a big following of jet lathes here from reading but having owned several jet products in the past on the metal side of things I tend to steer the other direction. I should also point out that this lathe will used for nothing but pot calls and strikers and Ill probably get bored after 6 months so I dont want to spend a fortune. I was also looking at the WEN 3420t variable speed mini lathe..price is cheap but not sure I can find a chuck for it...anyone had any luck with it?

thanks in advance and im sure there will be many questions to come.

JB

Offline majordog

• New Forum Member
Re: Rookie call maker looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 02:59:01 PM »
Good luck.....
I dont have any experience with either of those two lathes.
Don Anadell  Backyard Custom Calls

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 05:10:35 PM »
I make  pot calls exactly as you described and after 2 other wood lathes I have settled on a Jet 1221. It will do anything you need to make pots and strikers and all the normal/modern wood lathe accessories fit the 1x8 thread spindle. The 1221 does not take up a lot of room in the shop and will fit on any sturdy bench. Zero problems with my 1221 after 3 years.

The 1221 is also great for duck calls and about anything else you might turn along that line of interest. It also has a lot of uses if you are into muzzleloader accessories like powder horns, etc.

Look at Woodcraft for good quality turning tools and accessories.  Penn State Industries also has a good selection of tools.

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 08:14:26 PM »
I use a Jet Mini lathe daily.  I paid $179.00 for it, if that tells you how old it is.  All I have ever done to it is replace the spindle twice, bearings numerous times, motor bearings once, and rewire the power switch to a foot switch.   The lathe still runs true and the motor is strong.  It's ugly as hell, but it's a good little machine.   For our purposes, the Jet Mini lathes, variable or not, are a very good choice.

Al @ THO

Offline Jason Bowlin

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 12:54:57 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I went with the comet with the chuck and chisel set. It should be here tomorrow and after i break in the DC motor im gonna let some chips fly and see if I can learn a thing or 2. Never messed with a wood lathe much so probably a little learning curve, so ill be on youtube studying until then.

JB

Offline FDR

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 02:50:12 PM »
Make you one of these using the face plate that comes with the lathe and you should be good to go. That is a 3/8 bolt. Thread the blank , drill the sound holes and screw it on sound holes facing out. Face the back of the blank and finish sand the back. Now turn it around and hollow it out, turn the pedestal  and shelf for the striker surface, finish sand, done!

« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 03:03:00 PM by FDR »
Fred Roe

Offline Jason Bowlin

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 03:24:03 PM »
Thanks FDR.. thats not a bad idea.....I was using the threads in the blank with no bolt turning inside then using my chuck to hold inside the cutout and facing the back. I think your way will probably be more repeatable.

JB

Offline Jason Bowlin

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 06:44:34 PM »
Well I must confess...after using the comet for a few days I wasn’t impressed. They said I could return it so I’m gonna take them up on that and per popular demand....here is it’s replacement.

Offline FDR

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 09:50:42 PM »
Now you are talking!  It should make you very happy.
Tip: I use my 1/8 inch cutoff (parting) tool to hollow out the pots. Works better for me than any other tool I have used.

Fred
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 02:30:49 PM by FDR »
Fred Roe

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 10:10:18 PM »
Solid machines and a good company behind them.   

Al @ THO

Offline majordog

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 03:51:09 PM »
 :bigup:
Nice and new and pretty and shiny!!!!   LOL
Don Anadell  Backyard Custom Calls

Offline Jason Bowlin

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 08:24:31 PM »
Now you are talking!  It should make you very happy.
Tip: I use my 1/8 inch cutoff (parting) tool to hollow out the pots. Works better for me than any other tool I have used.

Fred

Fred funny you say that, I use carbide tools and didn’t have a parting tool and hollowing the pots out with any of them was a nightmare. So I went to klingspor today to get a parting tool but to also ask there advise....I got every tool recommended except a parting tool however I left with a parting tool. 1/4 instead of 1/8 but man it works sooo much better than the other tools.

Offline FDR

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 11:19:27 AM »
 :bigup:
Fred Roe

Offline K.Ruge calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 08:30:39 PM »
I've always used a 1/8". Because of this I ordered a 1/4"  see what happens .......