Author Topic: Call Surface Shelf Shrinking  (Read 3959 times)

Offline Robert Reed

• New Forum Member
Call Surface Shelf Shrinking
« on: April 11, 2019, 08:50:10 AM »
Alright guys, I have another question. On my first call when it came time to install the playing surface it would no longer fit. I had to carefully open it up in order for it to work. I assumed I did not leave enough play for the surface and also thought maybe I thinned out the wood a little too much causing it to warp. Lesson learned, or so I thought. My 2nd call I made enough room that I could slide the surface back and forth and also made sure the walls were thicker. I go to mount the surface and same thing, it's too tight.  :stickman1:

So is this normal? Am I just not leaving enough of a gap? I've got a 3rd call in the works right now, teak oil is drying and tru oil will be going on tonight, really hope I don't have the same problem.

Offline Robert Reed

• New Forum Member
Re: Call Surface Shelf Shrinking
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 09:02:42 AM »
I should probably mention that the wood in both instances was cherry.

Offline K.Ruge calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 09:20:43 AM »
What I do , when I'm like 85% done I let it sit for a few days to a weak and then finish it up
I have wood in my shed that I'v had for a long time and then I get around too turning it it still can be
Holding a lot of moisture.  I live in Florida so it's different for me ....
Can't say it won't happen to you  , just the wood isn't dry yet  like around 6-8%

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 08:16:10 PM »
I keep my wood in a cheap kitchen cabinet with a light bulb ,for heat, mounted in the bottom. The moisture content when I turn the wood is very low. After the blank is turned and sits out it will absorb moisture from the air and swell slightly if you don't seal it immediately after turning. Off the lathe and into the Teak oil usually does it!

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?