The Art of Handcrafting Custom Game Calls > General Call Making Discussions

4 Jaw Chuck Coming Loose

(1/2) > >>

Robert Reed:
Hey all, pretty new to turning and call making. I just received a "utility chuck" from PSI yesterday and went right to work on turning some things. I received my lathe with a similar chuck but it only has one size of jaws so I had to look at other options. Everything seems to work as it should but I noticed multiple times that if I was placing the jaws inside something and using outward pressure to hold it that it has a tendency loosen and let go of the call. If holding something using inward pressure the situation is reversed and the jaws tighten down on the item. My other chuck has a set screw to prevent this type of movement but the PSI chuck does not. Anyone have any idea how to remedy this? Is there something I am missing?

Thanks in advance.

Al_at_THO Game Calls:
I have never heard of that, but I suppose it could happen.   I would try a google search if no one here pops in to help.  If that does not help, call PSI on Monday.  Be careful if you turn with it because a block of wood coming off a chuck is not a pleasant thing.   Speaking from experience and band aids here  :eek:

Al @ THO

BigB:

I have 3 PSI barracuda chucks that are similar to the PSI Utility chuck. I’ve never had a problem performing what you are trying. Have you tried to contact PSI tech support to see if they have any ideas for you to try?

Brian

Robert Reed:

--- Quote from: Al_at_THO Game Calls on March 29, 2019, 04:25:52 PM ---I have never heard of that, but I suppose it could happen.   I would try a google search if no one here pops in to help.  If that does not help, call PSI on Monday.  Be careful if you turn with it because a block of wood coming off a chuck is not a pleasant thing.   Speaking from experience and band aids here  :eek:

Al @ THO

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: BigB on March 29, 2019, 06:39:34 PM ---
I have 3 PSI barracuda chucks that are similar to the PSI Utility chuck. I’ve never had a problem performing what you are trying. Have you tried to contact PSI tech support to see if they have any ideas for you to try?

Brian

--- End quote ---

I called PSI today and they were pretty much useless, kept transferring me to other people, never got a straight answer.

If you read some of the negative reviews for the chuck on the PSI website it's clear to see I'm not the only one experiencing this issue.

Maybe I need to tighten it more but I'm afraid of putting too much stress on the wood.

Worst case scenario I have a buddy that will tap the adjustment ring for a set screw.

FDR:
See if Penn State will take it back? Return and upgrade to one of their better chucks.

Fred

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version