Author Topic: 4 Jaw Chuck Coming Loose  (Read 7441 times)

Offline Robert Reed

• New Forum Member
4 Jaw Chuck Coming Loose
« on: March 29, 2019, 12:52:43 PM »
Hey all, pretty new to turning and call making. I just received a "utility chuck" from PSI yesterday and went right to work on turning some things. I received my lathe with a similar chuck but it only has one size of jaws so I had to look at other options. Everything seems to work as it should but I noticed multiple times that if I was placing the jaws inside something and using outward pressure to hold it that it has a tendency loosen and let go of the call. If holding something using inward pressure the situation is reversed and the jaws tighten down on the item. My other chuck has a set screw to prevent this type of movement but the PSI chuck does not. Anyone have any idea how to remedy this? Is there something I am missing?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
Re: 4 Jaw Chuck Coming Loose
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 04:25:52 PM »
I have never heard of that, but I suppose it could happen.   I would try a google search if no one here pops in to help.  If that does not help, call PSI on Monday.  Be careful if you turn with it because a block of wood coming off a chuck is not a pleasant thing.   Speaking from experience and band aids here  :eek:

Al @ THO

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 06:39:34 PM »

I have 3 PSI barracuda chucks that are similar to the PSI Utility chuck. I’ve never had a problem performing what you are trying. Have you tried to contact PSI tech support to see if they have any ideas for you to try?

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Robert Reed

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 08:36:26 PM »
I have never heard of that, but I suppose it could happen.   I would try a google search if no one here pops in to help.  If that does not help, call PSI on Monday.  Be careful if you turn with it because a block of wood coming off a chuck is not a pleasant thing.   Speaking from experience and band aids here  :eek:

Al @ THO

I have 3 PSI barracuda chucks that are similar to the PSI Utility chuck. I’ve never had a problem performing what you are trying. Have you tried to contact PSI tech support to see if they have any ideas for you to try?

Brian

I called PSI today and they were pretty much useless, kept transferring me to other people, never got a straight answer.

If you read some of the negative reviews for the chuck on the PSI website it's clear to see I'm not the only one experiencing this issue.

Maybe I need to tighten it more but I'm afraid of putting too much stress on the wood.

Worst case scenario I have a buddy that will tap the adjustment ring for a set screw.

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 04:47:33 PM »
See if Penn State will take it back? Return and upgrade to one of their better chucks.

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

B.Meuchel

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 03:18:38 PM »
Mine does the same thing. I “grab” a tenon on the back to turn the inside, but when I flip it to turn the back and sand I grab the inside of the pedestal and that’s where it looses up for me. I just check it every time I stop the lathe and with just good pressure, I don’t want to break my pedestal. It’s kinda a PITA but I’m turning calls so it’s hard to complain :2up: