Author Topic: Easy Finish for Pot Calls?  (Read 10756 times)

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
Re: Easy Finish for Pot Calls?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2019, 08:34:37 AM »
How long do you all wait to apply the tru oil after the teak oil?
I wait 24 hrs then apply the tru oil. I actually have 2 bottles. As I use the first bottle I add mineral spirits until I have replaced about 1/3 of the tru oil. I find that the thinned finish penetrates better (first coats) and seems to level out better so I also use it for the final coats. I build the finish with the second bottle.

Tip: store the bottle upside down. When you turn it over to open you always have fresh finish ready. The skim that forms is always on the bottom.

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline Robert Reed

• New Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2019, 01:22:19 PM »
How long do you all wait to apply the tru oil after the teak oil?
I wait 24 hrs then apply the tru oil. I actually have 2 bottles. As I use the first bottle I add mineral spirits until I have replaced about 1/3 of the tru oil. I find that the thinned finish penetrates better (first coats) and seems to level out better so I also use it for the final coats. I build the finish with the second bottle.

Tip: store the bottle upside down. When you turn it over to open you always have fresh finish ready. The skim that forms is always on the bottom.

Fred

Thanks for the tips! I'm working on some beer tap handles and plan on using the teak oil/Tru oil combo. I did a few coats of the teak oil already but the can says to wait 72 hours before applying additional finish over top of it.

I was thinking that since they are both oils that they probably wouldn't require quite so much time on n between.

Offline FDR

• New Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2019, 01:48:42 PM »
Here is how I do the Teak Oil. I use the Watco brand from Lowes.

I soak (submerge) the item in the teak for approximately 1 hour. I remove the item, hang, and let drip back into the pan for 30 minutes. I wipe the item dry and hang for 24 hours to dry. My shop is heated and I hang the item near or over the heat source.

I also have a drying cabinet, just a cheap wood  kitchen cabinet from Lowes with a light bulb in the bottom for heat. I keep/dry my call blanks in it also.

Should you ever end up with a gummy mess the next day just re-soak the item in the teak oil for a few minutes, remove and let drip then wipe dry and rehang for 24 hrs. The teak oil soak will dissolve the mess and it can just be wiped away and re-dried. Sometimes a little teak will seep out after the first wipe down and a second wipe down may be required say 30 minutes later. That is usually the source of the sticky mess if the item is not wiped down a second time.

Hope that helps.

Fred
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 07:25:54 PM by FDR »
Fred Roe

Offline Evan @ CBC Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2019, 05:17:13 PM »
24 hrs for me

Offline Robert Reed

• New Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2019, 08:51:36 PM »
Thanks guys.

Just curious, are you sanding between every coat of Tru Oil?  I've read that a lot of guys apply multiple coats with no prep in between and then hit it with some steel wool just before applying the final coat.

I've got 2 beer taps turned and have treated them with the teak oil, will be applying some tru oil tomorrow night.

Offline FDR

• New Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2019, 09:48:09 PM »
I apply the tru oil with a gun cleaning patch made from T shirt material. If I have any dust trapped in the dried finish I just hit it with OOOO steel wool, lightly, remove the dust, and reapply the next coat of finish.

Fred
Fred Roe

• New Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2019, 04:24:26 PM »
Same as Fred, though i will sometimes rub it on with my bare fingers.  The key to Tru Oil is very thin coats.  For a pot call, 3 drops can be too much sometimes.

It also should be said that Tru Oil wont set up on an oily wood.  I know it fails on bocote, I would assume it will also fail on cocobolo or any other oily rosewood.  For those woods, i use a buffing system after the watco soak

Offline FDR

• New Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2019, 08:27:41 PM »

If you have a problem on oily woods give the call (pot) a coat of sanding sealer (shellac) and after that dries you should be able to follow with any finish you wish.

Fred
Fred Roe

Offline Robert Reed

• New Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2019, 08:54:55 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm getting a feel for the Tru Oil with these 2 tap handles. These pics were taken right after the first coat was applied. I waited about 2.5 hours and applied a 2nd coat. I noticed that one of the handles has a bunch of tiny bubbles in the finish after the 2nd coat :down1: . I thought I had some 0000 steel wool but it looks like I only have 00 so I will have to pick some up before applying the next coat. Finish has always been a frustrating process for me, hoping once I get the hang of this it will be a bit simpler.

As always, I appreciate all of your help.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2019, 10:43:51 PM »
Looking good! Just a thought...if you're getting air bubbles, you could be applying too much oil.  The thinner the coat, the more even and blemish free the final finish will be.  Keep at it, you'll find Tru Oil is very easy

Offline FDR

• New Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2019, 08:55:12 AM »
The finish above the bulge looks nice! Scrub the area with the bubbles with OOOO steel wool and reapply your tru oil. I would put 4-5 drops of tru oil in a dish and add a couple drops of mineral spirits, mix and use that to finish the area. Might take 2 coats!

Fred
Fred Roe

Offline Robert Reed

• New Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2019, 10:15:43 AM »
Looking good! Just a thought...if you're getting air bubbles, you could be applying too much oil.  The thinner the coat, the more even and blemish free the final finish will be.  Keep at it, you'll find Tru Oil is very easy
The finish above the bulge looks nice! Scrub the area with the bubbles with OOOO steel wool and reapply your tru oil. I would put 4-5 drops of tru oil in a dish and add a couple drops of mineral spirits, mix and use that to finish the area. Might take 2 coats!

Fred

Thanks guys. I think you may be right in that I may have put it on a bit too thick with the 2nd coat. I'm hoping I can source some 0000 steel wool tonight after work from a local hardware store and get these finished up. Fingers crossed!

I was already thinking about thinning the oil a bit with mineral spirits but I was also thinking it would be good to wipe them down with mineral spirits to remove any dust left from the steel wool. Would that be acceptable or do you think that's too much mineral spirits?

B.Meuchel

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2019, 03:21:48 PM »
Try using a children’s liquid medicine syringe for the glue. If you go to the pharmacy desk at Walgreens they will give you a couple. Get the smallest one they have. When your done glueing push a toothpick through the tip to clean and after a few uses I use acetone and it cleans up really well.

Offline FDR

• New Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2019, 09:39:48 PM »
A quick wipe with an old T shirt works for me to get rid of any dust. A "tack" cloth also works. Available in the paint section.

Fred
Fred Roe

Offline Robert Reed

• New Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2019, 07:10:36 AM »
One more question.

How long do you guys wait after your final coat of try oil before going in your sound board and how long after that do you glue in the surface?

Lastly, how long do I have to wait before I can try it out?!