Author Topic: Easy Finish for Pot Calls?  (Read 10869 times)

Offline Robert Reed

• New Forum Member
Easy Finish for Pot Calls?
« on: March 26, 2019, 08:38:11 AM »
Hey all, wondering if there is an easy finish you can point me toward for pot calls? Most of my woodwork finishing has been basic stain and polyurethane but I know that's not what most use for calls. Would like to be able to apply while it's still on the lathe but not absolutely necessary.

Thanks in advance!

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
Re: Easy Finish for Pot Calls?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 11:15:09 AM »
Most of the friction finishes will not hold up for hunting. For pot calls I first sand on the lathe and then soak the entire pot in Watco "Teak Oil" to waterproof the call. Follow the instructions on the can! Now I glue in my sound board and after that dries I glue in my striker surface. You can apply your favorite finish to the outside of the call right over the Teak Oil. I like "Tru Oil" gunstock finish.

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline Robert Reed

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 12:18:47 PM »
Most of the friction finishes will not hold up for hunting. For pot calls I first sand on the lathe and then soak the entire pot in Watco "Teak Oil" to waterproof the call. Follow the instructions on the can! Now I glue in my sound board and after that dries I glue in my striker surface. You can apply your favorite finish to the outside of the call right over the Teak Oil. I like "Tru Oil" gunstock finish.

Fred

So the Tru Oil is applied after final assembly?

Offline FDR

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 01:57:48 PM »
You are only applying the Tru Oil to the outside of the pot so you can apply it either before or after assembly. I actually do it both ways depending on what else I have going on in the shop. I use a screw chuck to turn my pots so I have a threaded hole in the center of the pot. I screw in a bolt and use that to handle or hang the "wet" with finish pot.

Fred
Fred Roe

Offline Evan @ CBC Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 08:11:43 PM »
Second on Tru Oil.  I also like to soak pots in Watco, then buff with a wheel system for the lathe.  Which i do depends on the wood. 

Offline Robert Reed

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 08:47:25 PM »
Anyone use the Minwax Antique Oil finish?

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 10:30:17 PM »
No, but i wouldnt recommend it from what I've read.  If you want ease of use, it's hard not to go with a Watco soak and a few coats of Tru Oil. 

Offline Robert Reed

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 10:36:28 AM »
No, but i wouldnt recommend it from what I've read.  If you want ease of use, it's hard not to go with a Watco soak and a few coats of Tru Oil.

Interesting, I've read a lot of good things about the Minwax product. I was considering using the teak oil and then finishing with the Antique oil. The only problem with the Tru Oil is I can't get it locally but I'll do some more digging.

I really appreciate everyone's responses.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 01:49:46 PM »
Tru Oil is available on Amazon

Offline FDR

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 06:02:22 PM »

The only problem with the Tru Oil is I can't get it locally but I'll do some more digging.

[/quote]

I buy Tru Oil at Walmart in the sporting goods section.

Fred
Fred Roe

Offline Robert Reed

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 08:58:39 PM »

The only problem with the Tru Oil is I can't get it locally but I'll do some more digging.

I buy Tru Oil at Walmart in the sporting goods section.

Fred
[/quote]

I happened to stop at Walmart tonight and picked up Tru Oil and some e6000! Also went by Home Depot and got teak oil. Should be just about ready to go!

I was surprised the e6000 didn't have a more precise tip, seems like it might be i little tough to apply cleanly.

Also, I did read the teak oil directions but I'm curious if you could elaborate on how you use it? The directions say to "flood" the item and let it sit for 30 minutes then wipe off and repeat for 15 minutes. Then you have to wait 72 hours before applying the final finish?

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 09:15:34 PM »
I normally wipe it on, let it sit for a bit, and then wipe it off.   Repeat a time or two depending on what I am looking for in a final finish.  Teak oil is really not an oil at all.  It will soak in some, but it sits on top as well.   It will make grain stand out.   I use it a lot on my hunting calls.

AL @ THO

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 04:22:17 PM »
I dump the can into a clean paint can (you can buy on Amazon or any home improvement store) and submerge my calls.  I let them soak for at least 30 or 45 minutes, but hours has never hurt.  After soaking, i hang them over the can to drip for 30 mins or so, wipe, then let air dry.  You can seal the paint can with the included lid. 

Offline FDR

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2019, 07:10:07 PM »
I do the same as Evan except that I just use a bread pan and then pour the finish back into the can.

On the E6000 I just mash the very end of the tip  almost flat. That will give you a narrow slot to dispense the E6000. When finished just wipe the tip clean and replace the cap.

Fred
Fred Roe

Offline Robert Reed

• New Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2019, 09:59:21 PM »
How long do you all wait to apply the tru oil after the teak oil?