Author Topic: Best place to start?  (Read 2453 times)

Offline Hills of texas

• New Forum Member
Best place to start?
« on: January 02, 2019, 11:47:55 AM »
Good morning. I’m new to making calls. I’ve ordered some pre made reeds and guts and looking forward to putting them together. Ultimately, my goal is to be able to make my inside parts as well. I’ve read a lot of information on reeds and tone boards but it seems It’s more complicated the further you go. As a beginner I’m seeking advice on a good place to start. One that will be a good foundation to future learning and call making but also a decent sound to start out with. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
David.

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
Re: Best place to start?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 05:40:53 PM »
Welcome to the Tho family David!  What type of call are you trying to make? Duck, Goose, etc.
I hope you have found our tutorial section. Lots of good information there to help get started.
 I started with basic wood turning like making the call barrel and finishing the call. Used a commercial insert like Echo.
https://echocalls.com/product-category/call-parts/
If you are trying to assemble a duck call, as an example, you will have to make an insert to hold your parts. Here is a link to a great tutorial on making a duck call insert.
http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/board,109.0.html
Choose the first tutorial.

Fred
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 05:46:24 PM by FDR »
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline Hills of texas

• New Forum Member
Re: Best place to start?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 09:55:53 AM »
Thanks Fred, that’s what I was wanting to see. We have limited duck hunting around here. Mainly going to build predator, turkey and deer grunts. I want to work my way towards producing everything by hand. I take pride in being able to make things, be it Taxidermy, knives or anything else I do. Thank you for the info.