Author Topic: Anatomy of a Duck Call  (Read 3409 times)

Offline rmartin

• New Forum Member
Anatomy of a Duck Call
« on: December 06, 2018, 08:54:00 AM »
Ok, so I've been hunting for around 60 years now and have decided to try my hand at one of bucket lists, turning my own duck call.  So, I have been getting a lot of help from some folks on line, but, here is my question.  I haven't really found a good diagram or description of the anatomy of a duck call.  For instance what is the tenon? Sound Board?  On and on.  Does anyone have a good diagram or description of what all the parts of a duck call are.  I've seen some of the same parts called different things so I just want to make sure I know and understand what is being talked about.  Sorry if this may seem like a stupid question, but, as many have said, there is never a stupid question and many others have the same question but are afraid to ask.  So, any help with this would greatly be appreciated.

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
Re: Anatomy of a Duck Call
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 10:15:05 PM »
Take a look at this part of the forum and see if that answers some of  your questions.

http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/board,109.0.html

If not tell us what type of duck call you want to make i.e. "Arkansas" style or Reelfoot style. Most modern calls are of the "Arkansas" style.

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline rmartin

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 07:50:00 AM »
Thanks for the link, I had looked at most of the information posted on there, and that's part of my problem.  Just knowing what the names of different parts of the call are when referenced. Some are pretty clear, others are not.  Like I said, what is a tenon that is referenced so much.  I have looked that one up over and over and can never find a picture or a good description of what that is just as a starter.  Barrel is pretty clear, tone board is too, but, a plain ole good picture (pictures are worth a thousand words, lol) I think would help many newbies.  As to which call, I eventually want to do both as I have several old calls of both types but probably start with the Arkansas call.  So, what I am looking for as I originally stated is just a good diagram or picture that clearly points out what each part is as described.  I know there is one diagram that is done by one of the moderators that has a diagram of a call with letters pointing to or  brackets with the letters, but, there is no reference as to what each letter on the diagram refers to.  If that diagram had a reference to each part on the call, it would be outstanding for everyone, just my thought.  Again, thanks for the reference and I will keep looking and hopefully someone out there has something to share.

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 02:24:49 PM »
Tenon -  think of any male/female connection.  The Male part is the tenon   Google it. Pictures and everything.   

Al @ THO

Offline s wuebber

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 07:43:34 PM »
Duck call has five parts,
The barrel (what you place to the lips to utilize the call)
The insert which contains the tone channel
The wedge (cork or rubber) holds the reed in place.
The reed, Mylar or brass
Cupped Wings!

Offline rmartin

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 08:46:57 PM »
Thanks, that clears up a lot for me.  So the tenon is actually the insert to the barrel?  If I understand it right. I flunked human anatomy,  :taz:.  Thanks everyone.

Offline s wuebber

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 10:58:41 AM »
Yes, the tenon inserts into the barrel. Tenon is a commonly used term in woodworking as in “mortise and tenon”
Cupped Wings!