Author Topic: Best way to secure bands???  (Read 2696 times)

Offline Johnw_FWCC

• New Forum Member
Best way to secure bands???
« on: November 18, 2018, 08:08:10 PM »
Just looking for suggestions on how to secure anodized bands. I’ve had a couple come off with super glue, plus it also leaves a mark on the band if it gets on the front of it. I’m kinda worried that 5 minute epoxy will mess up. Any suggestions would be awesome thanks!!!
Fowl Waters Custom Calls

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
Re: Best way to secure bands???
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 08:19:13 PM »
JBweld works for me. I scratch the inside of the band and turn a couple grooves on the tenon. Then apply the jbweld to both surfaces. Put the band on and wipe off the extra glue.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline LagrueCustomCalls

• New Forum Member
Re: Best way to secure bands???
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 11:21:16 PM »
I groove the inside of the band with my Dremel to give the adhesive some purchase. Then I turn grooves in the barrel as well for the same reason. Following that, I prefer to use "2-ton" epoxy. With epoxies, the longer the cure, in general, the stronger the bond (big generalization, but usually true).

Ron Gould suggests the above, but suggested to me using JB Weld as adhesive.

I've used both JB Weld and Epoxy to good effect.

I use denatured alcohol for cleanup sprayed on a paper towel and then wiped quickly on the call for calls with either a CA finish or acrylic calls. Alcohol will remove oil finishes, and is not really good for clean up on a Massey finish for obvious reasons.
There's a duck call in that block of wood. I just have to find it!