Author Topic: Looking for jig recomendations  (Read 3378 times)

C Ashmore

Looking for jig recomendations
« on: October 23, 2018, 11:19:54 AM »
Hello all,

I'm BRAND new to call making and would like to get a little input on getting a jig. I know there are a few different public jigs on the market now. just curious as to which one, if any, y'all recommend? flat? upslope? ect. Just wanting a good starting point for getting some sound out of an insert. I hope to eventually get to the point that I have an insert worth getting a custom jig made to but for now, just looking for a starting point.

Thanks in advance to any advice, this is a great forum with a ton of incredible advice.

Offline Mann Lock @ Hollow Wing Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: Looking for jig recomendations
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 12:01:22 PM »
There are lots out there yes, Wade at Webfoot, Ryan at Pintail and Doug over at River Mallard are the three I would use though.  Any of them will get you a good starting point. A regular jig would be your best start for getting a sound.  Just any public from any of the guys above do a fantastic job. However when it comes to making a call, starting with a flat jig and working to make your own profile and seeing how that all works is ultimately the best teaching tool in the book. I would suggest going the flat route first unless you are just hell bent on trying to make something quick like most.

C Ashmore

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 02:00:06 PM »
Thanks for the advice. That's what I was kind of expecting to hear. I was probably going to go the flat route and try to figure it out that way. I want to LEARN to make inserts, not just crank em out. I have no intentions of selling calls right now. Just want to make em for me and friends

Offline LagrueCustomCalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 07:35:13 PM »
To add a little to this, go with a flat jig with a raised deck height. Deck above center. Gives you more meat to work with and can be a better sounding call if done right...
There's a duck call in that block of wood. I just have to find it!