Author Topic: Turkey Trumpet mouthpiece material  (Read 3951 times)

Offline Kuipdog

• New Forum Member
Turkey Trumpet mouthpiece material
« on: May 03, 2018, 11:20:43 AM »
I have a turkey trumpet mouthpiece material question. I see delrin being used for them and I have seen buffalo horn and deer antler as well as many different forms of actual ivory whether from warthog, elephant, walrus, hippo etc, but has anybody ever used Juma? Juma is an ivory substitute that is used in pool cues and is FDA approved food safe so they make pipe mouthpieces and kitchen utensils out of it. I just ordered some to give it a try. I just wondered if anybody had used it before.
Thanks

Offline majordog

• New Forum Member
Re: Turkey Trumpet mouthpiece material
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 11:32:57 AM »
I have only used Delrin and actual turkey wing bones......Never heard of this stuff.  Thanks for the tip though, I will have to find some and give it a try.
Don Anadell  Backyard Custom Calls

Offline Kuipdog

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 11:16:21 AM »
I got my juma material Friday in black and ivory. I have been playing around with it. It drills really nice and turns pretty nice so far, no chipping and it polishes up pretty good, really smooth. I am trying to get a mouthpiece done this week for a trumpet to how it sounds and plays.

Offline Evan @ CBC Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 10:38:47 PM »
Curious, where did you find the juma?

Offline Kuipdog

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 02:37:41 PM »
Atlas Billiard Supply. It comes in black and ivory and is a little pricey compared to delrin but it is FDA food safe, and delrin can cause allergic reactions in some people. I wanted to find something that was similar to ivory and I think juma is a good substitute. Its been used in the billiard industry for a while now for inlays, butt plates and shaft ferrules. I figured if it could take a beating as a ferrule it should be ok for a trumpet mouthpiece.