Author Topic: Call Rotisserie  (Read 146 times)

Offline James Strickland

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls Facebook Page
Call Rotisserie
« on: April 18, 2018, 05:39:57 PM »
So, I've been experimenting with a lot of different finishes lately.  Some are dipped, some are sprayed, and some are applied on the lathe.  For those that are applied on the lathe or sprayed, I found that, in some cases, I was battling drips and sags as the finish cured while hanging vertically in my finish cabinet.  To combat this, I wanted to create some way to allow my call parts to cure in a horizontal position while rotating.  To me, this would reduce/eliminate drips and sags since the call part would be constantly rotating.  I scoured the internet and found a few ideas that inspired the contraption below.

It was pretty simple to make.  It used the finishing dowels I had already made and was using for several of my finishes.  Plus, the only thing I had to purchase was the big, plastic container.  Everything else was found in my shop.  Pics below along with a link to a short video of it in operation.  Works pretty well so far.

It's basically a plate-spinning motor from an old microwave mounted to some scrap lumber.  I made a wooden "plate" and attached it to the motor.  The "plate has holes drilled of different sizes that correspond to the three different sized dowels I use to hold call parts for finishing.  The whole contraption is screwed down to the lid of the plastic tub.  The tub is there to keep the calls as dust free as possible while the finish cures. 

Video link: 

Offline LagrueCustomCalls

• Custom Call Maker
Re: Call Rotisserie
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 10:59:46 PM »
Very nicely engineered James!
There's a duck call in that block of wood. I just have to find it!

Offline B Hoover

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 08:09:38 AM »
Looks good James.
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men  Col 3:23

Offline James Strickland

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 10:08:41 AM »
Thanks, guys.  It was a fun build.